What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified Utric

I got this plant in a trade today, but the person I got it from doesn't know what it is. I'm tempted to say vulgaris, because it looks like what I have grown before as vulgaris. Also, does anyone know whether Meadowview's vulgaris is really vulgaris, or is it macrorhiza? The picture they have of vulgaris looks more like this plant than the plant they have as vulgaris, so I thought that it was really macrorhiza.

DSC_0358_1.jpg

This is what Meadowview lists as vulgaris:
DSC_0343_1.jpg

The bristles are much thicker on the second plant, and they are more brittle. On "vulgaris", they seem more like hair. Also, the person I got it from said he got it in a fish shop, so I thought of foliosa, since I've heard that it is the most common Utricularia in fish shops.
Can anyone clear this up?

Last edited:
Most, if not all U.vulgaris in the US is actually U.macrohiza. The 2 plants are very similar and were synonymous for years. Flowers should give it away for sure.

Do you think my two plants are both macrorhiza, though, or is the first one different?

Hard to say. 1st one may be U.foliosa or the aquatic form of U.subulata but it's hard to tell in that cup. Let it grow out in a larger container for a while and see the foliage looks like. The foliage and traps of the 2 are quite a bit different and the flowers will be a dead give away.

Last edited:
What is an aquatic subulata?, also it is not Aurea, Australis, Gibba (obviously) or stellaris as the plant is wrong, just thought Id rule them all out.
But with a lot of utrics until it flowers you cant ID correctly.

When inundated for long periods the plants will sometimes produce aquatic growth although I've never seen it free floating but always anchored to the substrate.

Unfortunately, you can't really see the foliage in these pics. I'll be sure to get some close ups of this next time I'm in the area.

But here you can see it starting to revert back to terrestrial growth habit after the water has receded.

If those pics are supposed to represent subulata, that is the wrong species, the flowers don't match as the lower lobes aren't large enough and the upper lip is way too big compared to my plants and all pics I've seen. Looks like U. gibba, which can grow as affixed or free-floating aquatic or for periods of time on moist ground like in your last pic, and the flowers match pretty closely.
As for identity of the mystery plant that started the thread, I'm afraid gibba is the only aquatic Utric I have experience with, so can't help there.

i grow a plant that was identified as U vulgaris when i got it. it has fine foliage as in your first picture, but with fewer filaments and branches. The second plant looks somewhat similar to a plant i grew for a while (which was swallowed by U gibba) that was identified when i got it as U intermedia.

Edit
After looking at botanical descriptions for U vulgaris and U macrorhiza i can say the second plant doesn't look like either of them.
I've seen U foliosa in the everglades and the leafy foliage parts are very fine but much longer than those in either of your pictures, easily twice as long.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what this Utricularia is? I just noticed it today after seeing its large bladders, but unfortunately it does not seem to be making them anymore. To me it kind of looks like Utricularia minor but I'm not sure if the shoots are dimorphic or not.

I got this in the same trade as the Utricularia in the first picture, but I didn't notice the plant until today.

DSC_0396_1.jpg

DSC_0395_1.jpg

DSC_0394_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back