What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery Drosera

This little guy came to me in a pot of D. spathulata last year. I have a few guesses, and I've had a few people give me different answers. I want to see what you guys have to say.

DSCF3953_zps7b5a6a5a.jpg

DSCF3955_zps74c61813.jpg

I don't have a photo of the flower.

Good lighting. Color nice. hard to say on ID. might be another form of D. spatulata. Might need flowers to say for certain....

looks to me like what might happen if hamiltonii and alicae had a baby. Montana var. tomentosa maybe?

Last edited:
I am no expert in rosetted Drosera, or any Drosera, but it looks South African to me. D. aliciae maybe. Or venusta.

Drosera spatuhaha.

It doesn't look like venusta to me. My venusta has erect leaves and the only time the leaves droop is when they are dead. Maybe it is aliciae.

It doesn't look like venusta to me. My venusta has erect leaves and the only time the leaves droop is when they are dead. Maybe it is aliciae.

Like I said, I'm no expert. :p

It does look like a dark colored D. tomentosa, actually, with the leaf shape and all. Mine is very similar, if lighter in color.

looks very similar to drosera admirabilis, however I've never seen one that red... so maybe not.

:lol:
Drosera spatuhaha.

If this turns out to be some weird new hybrid or cultivar, would you kindly name it: Drosera spatuhaha?

And also put me down for two please.

Thank you, kulamauiman. It's just a little t5 HO, but it does the job. It's outside in the southern sun now, so maybe it will flower.

D. aliciae was my guess, too. And after looking at some photos of admirabilis and venusta, I still think it's aliciae. Guess I'll have to see what/if it flowers.

And yes, if it's some new strange spatulata it'll be spatuhaha lol!

looks very similar to drosera admirabilis, however I've never seen one that red... so maybe not.

That's what I'm thinking, too. For comparison sake, here are some recently received similar sundews:

D. venusta 'cocciacaulis'

D. admirabilis

D. aliciae

Heres a pic of D. Admirabilis "Palmiet River RSA" that I used to have, for comparison,

Well crap. Now looking at those photos of D. admirabilis, I'm not so sure its aliciae anymore. If it helps, the photos don't show it, but it has a dark green almost forest green shade to the leaves.

It's certainly not aliciae. That species tends to have a slight, but noticeable widening at the tip of the leaf, like its relative D. slackii, but not as prominent. I'd still say it looks closer to one of the south American species, the leaf shape fits well.

Back