What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Few Drosera

I bought a small collection of plants last year. It wasn't labeled very well. I could use some help with Id's, any help would be appreciated. All of these plants are growing in the same tray outside in full sun.
Plant #1
DSCI0001 by dfleita1368, on Flickr
DSCI0036 by dfleita1368, on Flickr
DSCI0109 by dfleita1368, on Flickr

Plant #2 it's in a 2 inch pot, very small plants.
DSCI0111 by dfleita1368, on Flickr
DSCI0002 by dfleita1368, on Flickr

Plant #3
DSCI0132 by dfleita1368, on Flickr

Plant #4
DSCI0131 by dfleita1368, on Flickr

Plant #5 The one on the right
DSCI0110 by dfleita1368, on Flickr
DSCI0121 by dfleita1368, on Flickr

Plants #6 I know the plant in the upper left is some kind of pygmy
DSCI0134 by dfleita1368, on Flickr
DSCI0135 by dfleita1368, on Flickr

Plant 4 is D. capensis, probably 'narrow'. I have some thoughts about a few of the others, but I would rather someone else with more experience take a guess.

Looks like you bought a boat load of D. rotundastickya and D. spatuhaha.

#1 D. spatulata or some such. Looks like what I have growing as ssp. lovellae

#3... D. capillaris, perhaps? Reminds me a lot of the plants I'm growing (Polk Co., FL locale).

#4 looks more like D. anglica to me than D. capensis.

Last edited:
D. anglica doesn't form a stem. It doesn't appear to have the big papery stipules of D. camporupestris. And D. camporupestris typcially does not bend near the petiole. My verdict is D. capensis.

#2 I would suspect D. brevifolia.

Pictures of flowers would definitely help.

That stem was bothering me, and I think the leaves just look like anglica due to the odd angles they are at in the picture. It's D. capensis.

As for the others, I have no idea. They all look pretty much the same to me.
<---- is not a 'dew person:p

Last edited:
D. anglica doesn't form a stem. It doesn't appear to have the big papery stipules of D. camporupestris. And D. camporupestris typcially does not bend near the petiole. My verdict is D. capensis.

#2 I would suspect D. brevifolia.

Pictures of flowers would definitely help.

The traps are pretty short for capensis, though, in my opinion. And they seem to be wider near the center than either end. Interesting plant either way.

Plants 1 and 2 are likely different forms of spatulata, the latter looking a lot like the "Kanto" form
Plant 3 is capillaris, probably a long arm form.
Plant 4 is D. affinis, not capensis or anglica
Plant 5 is probably that squat spatulata form again
Plants 6 are a bit young to determine right now, could be capillaris or intermedia.
I can rule out brevifolia for the squat plants, I grow that species, doesn't look at all like them.

Last edited:
I can rule out brevifolia for the squat plants, I grow that species, doesn't look at all like them.

D. brevifolia Hampstead, NC comparison. Flower photo courtesy Ivan Snyder. Under my lights in tropical tank these plants don't color up, but they grow for years instead of dying after winter outdoors. Boxes indicate plants in cropped comparison (most similar perspective). Both mine and Snyder's plants are in 2.5 inch pots.

14259773609_c9c116bb92_ocopy_zps3b4aefe4.jpg

14445051592_2aa54edd8f_ocopy_zps947fe829.jpg

dcompcopy_zps20d274d1.jpg

dflowercopy_zps7bace5aa.jpg

Here is D. kaieteurensis, which some people find nearly identical to D. brevifolia, however the flower stalks are different
IMGP8322_zpsea599417.jpg

IMGP8336_zps457fd83d.jpg

Flowers and seeds will tell the tale:

Drosera brevifolia Pursh. Petioles 5-10 mm. long, dilated, glabrous. Leaf-blades cuneate, 4-10 mm. long, usually longer than the petioles. Stipules absent or reduced to one or two minute setaceous segments. Scape 4-9 cm. long, bearing 1-8 flowers about 15 mm. in diameter. Sepals glandular- pubescent, oblong-ovate, 2.5-3.5 mm. long. Petals rose to white, obovate, 4-5 mm. long. Seeds black 0.3-0.4 mm. long obovate, oblong, caudate at base, crateriform, the pits in 10-12 rows.

Thanks everyone for your help. I was thinking plant #1 is some form of spatulata, it keeps getting bigger every time I look at it. I is kinda of ironic if #3 is capillaris (Polk Co. form) since I live 10 mins. from Polk Co. Plant #2, now that I think about it, nearly all the plants disappeared during winter. While plant #4 did not go dormant during winter. I know it isn't a capensis, all the capensis I own are huge and won't stop flowering. Plant #5 I thought was a spatulata until it bloomed the flower was small white (pygmy like) and the flower stalk only grew to about three inches tall. Plant #6 could be intermedia, though all the intermedia I have grow so fast and these seem to be happy staying small. I found some more pictures maybe they can help.

plant#2
DSCI0291 by dfleita1368, on Flickr
DSCI0004 by dfleita1368, on Flickr
DSCI0174 by dfleita1368, on Flickr
DSCI0173 by dfleita1368, on Flickr

Plant #4
DSCI0252 by dfleita1368, on Flickr
DSCI0390 by dfleita1368, on Flickr

This is what all my D. capensis look like. (We get daily thunderstorms that have been beating them up)
DSCI0034 by dfleita1368, on Flickr

plant#1 the only bloom picture I could find
DSCI0038 by dfleita1368, on Flickr
DSCI0037 by dfleita1368, on Flickr

plant #3 flower stalk (I know not in focus)
DSCI0293 by dfleita1368, on Flickr

This is intermedia right (I know eyes to big for it's mouth)
DSCI0138 by dfleita1368, on Flickr

Some other pics
DSCI0007 by dfleita1368, on Flickr
DSCI0008 by dfleita1368, on Flickr

Okay, so it looks like plant 2 could be a different form of brevifolia, though that flower stalk in the first pic is a lot thicker than any of mine ever are, and not as glandular. The second pic looks a lot closer to mine. And again I say with 99% confidence, plant 4 is D. affinis, a tropical, stem-forming plant with long petioles and marginally elongate lamina.

Thanks hcarlton for your help. I agree plant #4 must be D. affinis. I'm not sure but I think if it were D. anglica the Florida heat and humidity would have 'numbered it's days' last summer. Plant #6 looks like their gonna be D. intermedia, they coming up all over the place. I got most of all three trays of Dews including a great D. spiralis and a monster D. regia from the one purchase.
DSCI0084 by dfleita1368, on Flickr
Getting A Tan
DSCI0191 by dfleita1368, on Flickr
This is what it looked like in the spring about 4 months ago.
Drosera by dfleita1368, on Flickr

Back