What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help me id this sarr

im thinking it is most likely my sand mountain var ornata which BELIEVE ME is not easy to get someone to GIVE you one!......it does turn yellow when it gets older. but another possibility could be flava ornata but im really leaning toward the forst one.

102_1163_zpsa5b4ad10.jpg

102_1164_zps2908706d.jpg

102_1165_zps23090200.jpg

p.s. i will not be giving this one away to a helpful user. lol.

Last edited:
I was wrong.

Last edited:
drat......i do not recall getting any flava var flava. either way still a nice one worth keeping for the moment. thx

Last edited:
I disagree Paul. I see oreophila there. The back of the neck does not curl together like flava. S.oreophila has a wide space back there while those margins on flava are often curled in very tight or touching.

Note the difference in the width of the neck.
S.flava

S.oreophila

What do the phyllodia look like, if it has any? S. oreophila should be slowing down for the season around this time, and and should be making relatively short, curved phyllodia.

That being said, I see features of S. flava and S. oreophila, but the easiest way to know for sure is to check the phyllodia.

Edit:

I disagree Paul. I see oreophila there. The back of the neck does not curl together like flava. S.oreophila has a wide space back there while those margins on flava are often curled in very tight or touching.

My thoughts as well. The differences between S. oreophila and S. flava are relatively easy to spot once you know what you're looking for.

S. oreophila is my all-time favorite sarr, by the way. :)

Last edited:
I don't normally ID on looks alone for something like this, but I grow 5 oreo clones, 2 of which are different "Sand Mountain" ones. It looks like oreo to me. However, even an educated guess isn't good enough in my book.

Mason McNair had this awesome poster about flava var. flava variation... let me see if I can find it:
http://imgur.com/B5hDAjZ

I wouldn't put a firm ID on it or distribute it as a Sand Mountain clone. The phyllodia habit will clue you in better if it's a true oreo.

not for distribution......i dont usually trade....i just horde or give away. lol.

night pics....not all of the little ones are curly but they are def all short......another shot of the pitchers but hard to tell but they change to yellow at some point. with this new info im DEF leaning towards my sand mountain jewel. :)

102_1171_zpsbe20e624.jpg

102_1172_zps135fac62.jpg

Those short phyllodia are indicative of S.oreophila.

It is looking like S. oreophila to me for sure. Those phyllodia are unmistakably oreophila-like, and the pitchers look right as well.

Last edited:
thanx for the help everyone! :)

Back