User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strange things growing in my sphagnum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

strange things growing in my sphagnum?

Any idea what these little mysterious plant things growing in the sphagnum moss that tops the soil of some of our plants?
    Anyone ever have this growing in their sphagnum? Any ideas what it is? Is it harmful? Should i leave it or should i try and pick them out of the sphagnum moss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just grass. I yank it out when I find it since the roots can bind up the soil.
    Also, the sphagnum looks pretty mucky - are you using Mosser Lee or some other sphagnum harvested from North America? The quality of those products tends to be quite bad.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh good i was wondering what the heck it was!
    The sphag is just left over red sphag sent when a plant was given to us so im attempting to regrow it out like the other ones i have that too most of our plants. Its alot harder when it starts to turn brown but since the order of red sphag i ordered was screwed up and not replaced by the seller (they sent me feather moss ..) and i don't have the funds to purchase from elsewhere now soo im stuck trying to grow it out.
    Also my sphag tends to get a little crispy at the tips from the sun so its a little burnt in places, but i keep it moist to help it re-grow, its seemed to work out pretty well with the green sphagnum so thought if give it a whirl to get sum red!
    Last edited by KATastrophe; 06-23-2015 at 09:14 PM.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a sedge grass. Ill have to get a picture of the monster colonies that I kept alive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha yeah post a picture on here id love to see what it would look like of i left it their

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never pick weeds because I like to see what they turn into as they age.
    Heres the king of the sedges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow lol i didn't toss them out i decided to just put them in their own dish to grow as they like maybe we can use them in my prog/group for something you never kno! Thanks for sharing that is a fairly big hunk you got their lol

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carex (sedges) and Juncus (rushes) are gonna be the weeds in your peat/LFS 90% of the time. The basic difference is that Carex will have 3-sided stems, while Juncus leaves are round/hollow in cross-section. "Sedged have edges" is a popular taxonomist saying. Fortunately, Nem's photo has both and you can see the differences quite clearly.

To get beyond that and ID to species, plan to get a PhD, a dissecting microscope, and a serious case of brain trauma.
    Last edited by theplantman; 06-24-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast