What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing lots of labels, need help! (Drosera and Pinguicula)

I am in charge of the CP's in the greenhouse at my university (this will be my second year actually) and many of the labels are either faded or missing. I'm more of a Sarracenia and Nep guy, so I need a bit of help identifying some Drosera and Pinguicula. Please excuse the weeds...part of trying to get id's is so I know what soil mix to use when I repot these. Thanks!

Ping 1
l23zYaxh.jpg

Ping 2
jpKhNEFh.jpg

9yTtFUZh.jpg

JRd0C5Wh.jpg

Ping 3
MkZwXfDh.jpg

Ping 4
q8pLvlRh.jpg

Drosera 1
JqtcmPsh.jpg

Finger for scale
7FEYVBkh.jpg

Drosera 2
oILvaRoh.jpg

Drosera 3
fxZSTXzh.jpg

Drosera 1 is D. Burmanii or sessifolia..think Burmanii though..
Ping 1 actually kinda looks like D. Adalea to me but can't really tell

Ping 2 looks like moctezumae or moctezumae x. Gigantea

Drosera 2 looks like Spathulata or tokiensis

Forgive spelling not 100% sure though

Last edited:
Could u take photos of the name tags with the plants then we could have a better chance at guessing the ids for the complicated ones

I will try to Friday, got a lot on my plate tomorrow. Thanks for the ID's so far!

Yeah Drosera #1 definitely looks like burmannii or sessifolia.

Ping 4 looks like it might be P. agnata "True Blue" hard to see the flower though. Ping 2 looks like P. moctezumae, Ping 3 may also be moctezumae, Ping 1 needs to grow and possibly flower. Ping IDs are tough without flowers. Some look very similar.

I use 100% turface with my mexican pings, the only weed I get in it is a low moss that doesn't seem to bother me or the plants.

I'm junk with Drosera ID but I agree #1 looks like D. burmanii or D. sessifolia.

Last edited:
Pinguicula 1 - ?
Pinguicula 2 - P.moctezumae
Pinguicula 3 - ? Possibly P.moctezumae
Pinguicula 4 - P.agnata
Drosera 1 - D.burmannii
Drosera 2 - D.aliciae
Drosera 3 - ?

Ping 1: hard to ID without growing more. The big glands make me want to say P. colimensis but I'm almost certainly wrong.
Ping 2: P. moctezumae
Ping 3: P. moctezumae or a hybrid involving it
Ping 4: really big P. agnata

Drosera 1: D. burmannii
Drosera 2: D. aliciae maybe?
Drosera 3: maybe D. natalensis ?

Man, as a fellow curator I wish you the best of luck with that. Shame to see such cool plants lying forgotten about. I came into a collection much like that.

I don't know what your position entails and if you're directly doing or in charge of daily watering, but that is a big, big part of keeping mexican pings alive through the years. I'm surprised they're not already dead, because they have such unique needs that the majority of people just overwater and kill em. Do you have greenhouse staff or is everything left up to the students?

In a greenhouse environment, especially since you're in the south like me, I'd suggest a 5-part mix for Pings. I like sand/potting soil/perlite/permatill/turface quite a lot, in roughly equal parts. Sounds complicated, but not when you mix it in large batches in a cement mixer. My mix gives them enough juice to grow, but the low amount of potting soil is cut with enough sterile stuff that it's actually not a lot of nutrients. And furthermore, most importantly, it drains enough that you won't rot them in summertime or wintertime.

And also, at least 70% shade from late May to late Sept here. It takes the edge off of our brutal heat. Hot soil will rot a mexican ping with Fusarium in a couple weeks.

Oh, and I know you're probably busy with everything, but once you are able to get a growlist together, drop me a line at kevintheplantman(at)gmail(dot)com. Might be able to improve the diversity of your guys' collection.

Last edited:
Pinguicula
2) Probably P. moctezumae
4) Some variety of P. agnata
The others: Good luck!

Drosera
1) Probably D. burmanii
2) ???
3) D. x tokaiensis?

Last edited:
Looks like the tag on ping1 has the letters 'PED' but thats all i can make out. Maybe that will ring a bell to someone

Ping #1 reminds me of the young leaves seen on medusina and heterophylla, more likely the former.
Pings 2 and 3 are probably both moctezumae
#4, I'd lean toward agnata

Drosera #1 is definitely burmannii
Drosera #2 is NOT D. aliciae, but it appears to be South African, possibly venusta or one of its relatives
Drosera #3 is also South African, possibly natalensis but I'd need a clearer pic.

Back