Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some moss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some moss

It's some type of moss. I don't know whether to trust it or not, because I seem to have about 3 different types cropping up in different quadrants of my terrarium. This one is springing up from a bit of dry sphagnum that I buried in the soil around the roots of my D. Floating. Of course, the sphag hasn't been dry in months and the humidity is usually between 70-80% in my terrarium. These factors combined with the bright lighting, could this be new sphag growing up for me? I'd be very happy is it was.

PS: I wish I could post larger pictures to my profile. As it is, I get wonderful quality, but it's negated by the fact that the pics have to be so small.
    Last edited by Trout; 10-17-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    PS: I wish I could post larger pictures to my profile. As it is, I get wonderful quality, but it's negated by the fact that the pics have to be so small.
    I wish you could post larger pictures in the main text, I had to use x3 on the magnifier for this one. Have a thought for we ancient ones.

It's a moss, it's not doing any harm. If you think it may just pot it up in its own and see what happens.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    I wish you could post larger pictures in the main text, I had to use x3 on the magnifier for this one.
    That's what I'm saying! I don't have an account for any sort of Photo-hosting, (Used to, but never used it enough to ever remember the stupid password) so I have to use pics that I've posted to my profile here, and for whatever reason, the site only allows for hosting of micro-pics
    Last edited by Trout; 10-18-2015 at 06:40 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah! So I'll keep the magnifier at the ready then
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like sphagnum to me, though as fred said, even if it isn't sphagnum, it's not going to harm your plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One question I have for you then, why is "decorative moss" (as described in The Savage Garden) lethal to cps? And is that the only one that will harm them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    One question I have for you then, why is "decorative moss" (as described in The Savage Garden) lethal to cps? And is that the only one that will harm them?
    Sometimes "decorative" moss is treated with dyes and preservatives to keep it looking fresh and alive even though it's bone dry. Living moss (unless it's a 3" thick carpet that chokes out roots) isn't harmful in the least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like baby sphag growing. Theirs many types of sphag far more then people think.. Depends what kind you put but the roots was it a smaller sized sphag or a big lush kind?
    Regardless i don't think it's hurting anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast