Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Pot of Dews

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Thats. N. Ventrata, a common plant bandied about as alata.
    Thanks for the help. Standard care for this guy? Water every three days or so and mist it to keep pitcher production going?

Quote Originally Posted by SerMuncherIV View Post
    It's probably the commonly TC'ed garden center clone(s?) of N. x "ventrata", although whether or not it's truly the hybrid N. ventricosa x alata or something like ventricosa x graciliflora is still up for debate...I rather doubt it though.
    They said the supplier for their CPs is just some guy off the street who has a large collection.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    So they're like a 'sub' species of them?
    That's the general idea. A subspecies is a more formal call and considered to be more definitely defined. It gets kind of messy below the species level, and sometimes above it. Calling something that looks decidedly different than the norm a 'form' is usually safe, though.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    I would have guessed it was a D.intermedia as well.
    Drosera intermedia has leaf lamina (the traps) that are longer than wide ordinarily. D. rotundifolia has lamina that are wider than long or more round usually. Also they are more ground-hugging. This is how it looks to me on your photo.

You have certainly gotten a good response to your questions. If you haven't been around TF for awhile you might be surprised at just how knowledgeable some of these growers are! (Myself excluded.)
    Last edited by bluemax; 01-06-2016 at 06:22 PM.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going by the 1st photo in the post I see 2 D.intermedia, one at 2:00 and one at 5:00. I also see what appears to be D.capillaris at 6:00. I'm not seeing anything that resembles D.rotundifolia in that pot.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The smaller rosetted plants are D. intermedia and tokaiensis (which appears to be widely mistaken for capillaris as much as it is spatulata). The thin-leaved plants are definitely D. filiformis, probably the nominate form (classification goes subspecies, variety, and form, corresponding usually from geographically to distinct color morphs to what one could call line-breeds, the latter two often not recognized by some taxonomists). D. tracyi does have red pigment in the tentacles, but only in the heads and relatively faint, while the entire tentacle and often the leaves in filiformis have color. tracyi also has shorter, denser tentacles.

The nep is definitely ventrata, and the Sarracenia if they don't have labels shouldn't be given one, but the first looks somewhat like that plant they call "Carolina Yellow Jacket" but with more veins...
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    The nep is definitely ventrata, and the Sarracenia if they don't have labels shouldn't be given one, but the first looks somewhat like that plant they call "Carolina Yellow Jacket" but with more veins...
    Spot on. The unidentified Sarrs are very likely to be 'Judith Hindle' and 'Bugbat', which are common TC-produced plants.
    How can gravity be so strong if it doesn't even lift?
    >Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/gr...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the taller one looked a little too thin to be Judith. Was my first inclination but it looks a little off, though that might just be because the leaves are half dead....Bug Bat looks right though.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say the hood is pretty distinct. Not aware of many mass TC'ed plants with that look to it.
    How can gravity be so strong if it doesn't even lift?
    >Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/gr...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    Going by the 1st photo in the post I see 2 D.intermedia, one at 2:00 and one at 5:00. I also see what appears to be D.capillaris at 6:00. I'm not seeing anything that resembles D.rotundifolia in that pot.
    I agree that my 'rotundifolia' is actually intermedia. 'Guess that will teach me to look at the full-resolution shot before making a call. I do think the 6:00 plant has overly thick petioles to likely be D. capillaris.
    - Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast