What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera sp

Hi CP detectives.  Here's a mystery sundew that sprouted out of some lfs that came in with some plants.  The source of the moss says that it might be something he knows simply as "Auyan Tepui".  What do you all think?

I should menion:
1) It doesn't seem to be getting much bigger.  It's about 2 months old
2) It is under very bright light.  The redness may be due to that more than anything.
3) Yes, that is the dried-up remains of a heliamphora pitcher visible under it.  I was trying to root the pitcher i accidentally broke off, and the sundew showed up just as i was going to throw the whole thing away.

Picture 1:
200306-CP-D.sp unknown.jpg

Picture 2:
20030714-CP-D.sp unknown.jpg

Picture 3:
20030619-CP-D.sp%20unknown,%20D.anglica,%20D.capensis%20'alba'%20seedlings.jpg

Can't help you with the ID but thats a pretty little thing! Lucky you.
smile.gif

Suzanne

It just might be a D. sp. "Auyan Tepui" - I've got one of these plants, and they look very much like D.spatulata.

From my experience, D. spatulata 'Ahipara' lacks the deep red of this plant.

There isn't much detail showing, but it is likely to be a form of D. spatulata.

I have sown seed so labeled 3 times. 2 were D. spatulata, the other one a South African introgressed form of D. dielsiana. That's the problem with these "sp. whatever's" since there is no central reference, there is no gurantee that the plants anyone grows are the same species.

Keep me posted when the plant flowers, and I can tell you for sure. Hopefully we can put a real name on this, instead of a made up one, and not spread the confusion and further afield.

Whatever it is, it certainly is not from the Tepui's in Brasil.

Thanks for all the thoughts! Sorry about the detail - it's the best my lil' digicam can do. I'll try again to get a better pic one of these days.

As mentioned privately, this could very well be D. arenicola if it is from Auyan Tepui. A flower would help tremendously in IDing the plant.

utricman

The lamina in the photo are too obovate for D. arenicola, and the plant lacks the conspicuous stipular hairs associated with this species.

I have yet to meet a single grower of this so named species that has produced anything remotely associated with the Tepui regions.

But, hey, you never know until it flowers. The flowers of D. arenicola are very distinct. If your plant has a densely hairy scape and large white flower you will know that you have something!

Back