What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's play the guessing game

I got htis one from a grower here in Atlanta who has it in TC. The lable was unreadable and no one knew the parantage or the name given to this. Hetro... something. It's all green and slick like plactic, no veining, no mottling. I assume it is s.purp purp hetrophylla x with what? Any guesses?

unknownsaulssarr.jpg

I'm going to move this to the Identify That Plant! forum/

looks like my sarracenia flava (the lid and redness at the bottom of the lid) and my purpurea, so i'd say it si a hybrid of both
smile.gif

S. xCatesbai 'all green' may be a new a new form? Cool plant btw,
Kevin

Spec,
That 'red' you see is peat moss splattered up on the lid. Sorry about that. I did not see that until you mentioned it. No other color on this one but green.

Definitely looks like some kind of purp x flava hybrid. Hard to tell if it's an antho-free clone. The growth point doesn't seem to show any sign of red. But then, there is no antho-free form of S. flava that I know of (var. maxima still has coloration at the growth point). I don't understand Sarracenia genetics all that well, but I would think, since the antho-free is recessive, you would need two antho-free parents to form an antho-free hybrid. I actually have a couple of plants very similar to this, which I don't know the parentage of. They are a little more upright and the lids cover the mouth better. The flowers are nearly identical to flava, so I've always assumed they were flava x (purp x flava). But now that I think of it, there is no red coloration on their pitchers, nor at the growth point.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Nice plant!

Back