What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I finally got some pictures of my new plants uploaded. And I wanted to write a little about them on my webpage, but wanted to make sure I was naming them correctly before I did.
First I wanted to apologize for having geocities. The links below will take you the page with the pictues

The Butterwort Pinguicula Primulifora

The Pitcher Plant Sarracenia Purpurea

The Sundew Drosera Adelae

The Venus Fly Trap Dionae Muscipula

If one of these is wrong please correct me. (Yeah I kow the butterwort is looking kinda dead, but it has some new growth in the middle.) Thanks

I have no idea about the butterwort, but the rest are correct and look healthy!
biggrin.gif

SF

I would agree with your identifications. Obviously the ping is hard to positively identify based on it's current state, but primuliflora is certainly the most commonly seen species in stores and nurseries. To add to your identifications, I'd say the sarr. is Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa (the ssp. is subspecies). Also, the species name should be in lower case (ie. Drosera adelae, not Drosera Adelae). Take care.

Thank you for the quick response. (I knew I shouldn't have taken chemistry for my science courses.
tounge.gif
) I learned something new! Well, two things really. (species in lower case and what ssp. means.) Thank you again

Im guessing you got these at Lowes? Well the butterwort is most likely a P. Primuliflora. Good luck!
Kevin

Yeah, they're from Lowes. The kept them inside in a nicely cooled shaded section near the doors to the garden area. They had some Drosera spatulata as well, but they all looked sickly. I figure if I can keep these alive for a year then I will get me some different varieties that are offered here.

Im afraid you wont be able to wait another year to get more plants. The fever for them should catch on in a matter of weeks.

Mike

Mike has made a good point, soon you'll have all you can get at Lowes, then seek out for new cooler plants from pft and such.....as it says in my signiture, carnivorous plants have not only caught bugs, but me to!
Kevin

smile.gif
Heh, I've already got the fever, but I also have a deterrent (sp?) as well. I have a threat hanging over my head, I was told if I brought anymore plants home I wouldn't make it to Christmas.
rolleyes.gif
And for some reason no one believes me when I say, "It followed me home, can I keep it?"

Hi Belfrie

Welcome to the forums.  
smile.gif
 Glad you're pleased with your new plants.  Don't worry...you will find some way to sneak new plants in.  hehe

One way to positively ID p. primuliflora is that it is the only ping to form little plantlets at the end of its leaves.  Errr...you won't be able to tell that from your plant now with its rather crispy leaves, but once it grows out more you will be able to tell.

Beautiful avatar by the way!

Suzanne

Back