Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tropical or temperate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick and BCK, those are nice looking sundews. Your plants may be a little smaller, but they are much more robust and colorful than the ones that I have and appear to be getting better light. Mine have been grown mostly under flourescent lights. Looks like the key word here is hibernaculam. Since I have two sets of these little guys growing, the second set coming from offshoots from the ones in the photo, I think I will put one set outside to see if wants to go dormant and leave the other in the enclosure and watch what it does. The only thing I know to do is to experiment, and in case of a failure, well, those plants have provided me with a lot of backup seeds.
    Thanks for the pics and info.
    BTW, I have only caught mine blooming a couple of times in the early morning around sunrise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,

If your plants are the temperate Drosera intermedia, they will form a hibernacula for sure. You don't need to place them outside in the cold. They will most probably do it inside the house as well.

I caught an opened flower of my Drosera intermedia 'roraima' earlier this year. Here is the picture. I guess all the other variants have the same flower structure.

Btw, my intermedia 'roraima' is much bigger than the intermedia 'cuba'. The petioles of my intermedia 'cuba' are only about 2cm long, while those of my other forms are surely twice this size.

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christian, that's ironic because after two cooler nights outside, I decided to bring them back in. I saw a small change in them that didn't look right so now I'll leave them alone and let them grow.

Alan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12