User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosera spatulata?

Unhappy

AWY?? I'm not sure what that means. Kevin, I don't know where I got this plant exactly. Most likely from Karens I imagine. I don't think I got it from Andrew when he was in Tenino nor did I order it online.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homer, I notice what look like little seed pods springing up around your spatulata. What are they?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin: Is the moss growing in this picture sphanum or something else - detrimental?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seed pods appear to be Utricularia subulata. The moss may or may not be a problem long term. The plant appears happy at present, and seems robust enough to stand off the moss. Generally I feel the presence of U. subulata is a good indicator of the health of your medium. I have noticed a correlation between Utricularia colonization and a healthy CP medium. Sometimes moss just happens. When I have the problem, I generally irrigate from the top more frequently, just in case there are accumulating salts at the surface. I would say so far so good though: this is a well grown plant.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Yes, those are U. subulata seedpods. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] The sundew has been in this pot for a few years now. On a side note, it hasn't spread like the other spat in my terrarium. I believe they are from the same source. Anyway, thanks for the information regarding utrics and soil quality.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have those seed pods in a number of my Drosera pots...I thought they were weeds and have been pulling them up. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lauderdale,

You can pull them up, pull them out, transplant, use gamma radiation, fire, ice, pray....nothing will deter this species. It is the cleistogamous form of U. subulata. Be wary if it is anywhere near other Utricularia, or the seeds will find their way into the pots. Subby doesn't really bother the larger plants, and in fact probably is a "good housekeeper": removing unwanted nutrients and contributing towards a healthy mix, but be careful NOT to reuse the medium for other Utricularia. This includes any live LFS that might grow in that pot.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12