What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes rescue

Hello everyone,

I was in a local garden shop this weekend and found this Nepenthes in a fairly dark corner of the store...so I decided to rescue it.  The tag claims it is Nepenthes "miranda."  I have never heard of this...Could it be N. x mixta?  Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Secondly, I'm currently keeping the plant (for the summer at least) next to a southern facing window on a screened in porch.  I spray it down 2-3 times/day.  Should it fair well under these conditions?...I'm in northern New Jersey.  Lastly, it appears as if there are two plants in the one pot...should I split them up?Any replies would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  

http://home.petflytrap.com/tomv/images/1.jpg
http://home.petflytrap.com/tomv/images/2.jpg

Hi Tom,

Redoing the image link so it loads here.
1.jpg

2.jpg

Looks like a maxima x something. Nice plant, though!

Capslock

That appears to be what I have that has been previously identified as N. x velvet, not 100% positive on that, but the concensus was that it was probably N. velvet, and most definately it had N. veitchii parentage somewhere. No one seems to be really sure of the parentage of this cross though. I have mine labeled as "N. veitchii(?) x unknown)"

I am growing it in "extreme" lowland conditions outside on my patio (90-100f during the day, mid 80's at night, 70-95% humidity, direct sun through 25% shade cloth) and it is pitchering like crazy.

Also I see no reason why you can't seperate the two plants, mine also came with two in the pot and they seem to be doing better now that I have separated them.

Good luck, and enjoy, this is a very beautiful plant.

Tom,

If what Tony has posted is the pic of your plant, it's gorgeous! Nice rescue!
I think both N. velvet and N. miranda come from the same source, so they must be a little different. I am thinking they are both TC products from Holland.
This plant also looks a lot like a plant Clyde Bramblett sells called N. 'Cornelius Bak'. It did not do well for me, for some reason.

Regards,

Joe

Wow Tom V!!!
You don't find plants like that in garden stores very often- especially that big.
Just curious, how much did it cost you?

Regards, hamata

Nice plant. You got really lucky in finding that at a garden shop.
biggrin.gif
Can a mod move this to id plant forum. thanx
biggrin.gif

it looks like a maxima x fusca to me but im a newb

Are you guys sure?

That looks like my mature home depot nepenthes, I mean, I don't have it right infront of me, but the similarities are absolutely striking...

only thing, I dont think the peristome on mine is so 'flaring' but that is it.

...thanks for the replies everyone.

hamata: To answer your question, the plant was $24.95

I'm going to keep the plant in bright shade, spray it down often, and see how it does. I think I'll have to build some sort of grow chamber come the Fall though...I have hot air heat, I doubt it will thrive indoors with approx. 20-30% humidity!

Thanks again,
Tom

Hi all:

I've got a plant just like that one. It was called N. maxima typical. I wonder if there is some veitchii in it, but as some of you may know, plants with veitchii parentage tend to be HAIRY.

Agustin

Back