What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i brought this sarracenia from my local garden shop , it came from the booman floral company . I am not sure what species this sarracenia is but all i know is that its not a hybrid and its either an alata or rubra , rurbas and alatas look very simalar . i looked on the interent to see if there were any ways to id this plant , that was'nt much help and i looked at a few books , not much help either although the book Carnivorous Plants of the United Staes and Canada was very informative . so how can i tell the difference , the plant right now is 12 inches , it is red on the outside a lil and has some red venation in the inside too . do i have to wait til the plant flowers to figure out because i do know that rubras have red lfowers and alatas have yellowish green ones half the height of thi pitchers .

A picture is worth a thousand words.

You know he's got a point there? lol
biggrin.gif

is the pitcher a greener or more pale color? Is the hood sorta flared, or covers the opening? How do you know its not a hybrid? These can help a little bit,
Kevin

i'll get a pic when my digital camera gets here . the ptichers is greener , hood does'nt look flared , covers the whoel opening , i called the company askign them what they shipped to my local garden shop and they said they shipped no hybrids and that they did'nt have any in stock to ship anyways .

My guess on facts would be rubra, but a picture would make the final decision.
Kevin

here are the pics finally :
unknown%20booman%20floral%20sarracenia%20now%20supposedly%20alata.jpg

ubf%20pitcher%20now.jpg

ubf%20pitcher%20side.jpg

seeing from the pics it looks more like alata , the pic were tkane a few days ago ,v ery nice and tall pitchers .

are you guys 100% sure , i just want to know so i don't mislabel things and is it anything special like heavily veined or something ? thanks

Alata, and it really doesn't look like a different form. Nice plant though. Stores around our are never sell that nice a plant. Oh, well.

Wes
cool.gif

well when i got it was'nt much a nice plant but it was ok and ever since i grew it has grew better .

I would go with alata too, a 'typical' form, lovely plant.

Back