What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi!

I got into carnivorous plants fairly recently. I bought a VFT and general carnivores collection from Exotic Gardens. I was trying to make up for killing several VFTs as a kid. Looking back, they made me do it. This was long before the internet. The instructions actually suggested feeding them hamburger. Just use tap water, and so on. Basically, how to kill it.

Since we've become homeowners I've tried to develop a green thumb. Which, honestly, in Florida is pretty easy.

I've branched out, gotten hooked, whatever. I've got two kinds of butterworts, seven or eight sundews, six VFT types, and lots of sarracenia. Oh, and of course neps. Only the sarracenia and the older neps. live outside. The rest are in terrariums.

To the topic and forum at hand. I recently acquired some nepenthes from Lowes and a couple little nurseries. Of course, they were helpful enough to tell me that I was buying "a pitcher plant." Or, a "tropical pitcher plant." Lowe's even said nepenthes.

I think they are all nepenthes alata. But, that could be because it's the first one listed all the time. It's a pretty good guess anyway. There's the green, pink, red pitcher version. Pitchers up to about five inches. There is a yellow with red, or red with yellow version with large pitchers, up to about eight inches. There is another one with smaller brighter red pitchers with spots.

They are big plants and I had to make cuttings just so the vines wouldn't hang down where the dogs could eat them. I plan to protect the patio from insects with a phalanx of neps. Until it hits about 42 degrees, when they all will end up in the bathrooms until it warms up in the afternoons, I guess. I won't need to lift weights this Winter.

I don't have a website to post photos. How can I show you the plants?

Hello,

Exotic Gardens does have some space for members to use for a website or for hosting images. You can find it at home.petflytrap.com.

Look for the Web Home Community link at the bottom of the page.

Thanks, Nick. I'll try to take some photos from a distance at night (when the wind stops blowing) and crop a clear pitcher (pun) of each of them.

I probably should have put this one in the ID forum. I'll learn.

Well, you're wish is my command....moved to the id plant forum.
biggrin.gif

The large yellow with red pitchers are highland alata.  Or, some hybrid that is so close staring at pix of different highland alatas and semilookalikes over and over wasn't enough.  I got both, maybe three, of those plants from Lowe's.  They are the least sun tolerant plants.  Even almost total shade is not quite enough for them when the afternoon sun gets them.  They do a good job of growing a few big leaves to take the brunt of the solar abuse though. The leaves redden before they completely cook.    

The green, pink, red pitcher plants that vined like crazy are ventricosa or an alata, I'd still guess.  Those were from a little nursery.  Obviously lowland, as they love sun to a point.        

The red pitchers are on a plant that looks a bit sick.  Light green leaves, some spotting, wilting pitchers.  I guess being a Lowe's plant it's likely to be what's mentioned on the sticky thread, ventricosa.  But, as I mentioned, I'm 99% sure I just bought two (possibly three, one huge plant hadn't pitchered at all recently) highland alatas from Lowe's.  That's the only ID I'll wager the big money on.

This is the largest pitcher so far (just opened) on what I think are the highland alata.

Lgnephialata.jpg

This, I think, is a lowland alata that has pitchers which vary from green to red somewhat depending on light.  These plants vined like crazy and are somewhat tolerant of direct Florida sunshine.  That's asking a lot sometimes.  We've had a very rainy and mild August however.  

loalata.jpg

Notice how careful I was to admit I might be wrong?  Whew, nepenthes are complex and getting more complicated all the time.  

If this works, I managed to post pix on the internet!  [Homer J. Simpson] Woo-Hoo! [/HJS]

I think the other plant is a spotted alata.  I have alata alata on the brain.  Anyway, now hopefully someone will confirm my IDs, or shoot me down like the time I IDed some fetal lemon sharks as great whites in HS biology.

Beagle...you have a great sense of humor. I LIKE that!
biggrin.gif

Your pitcher photos are very nice and thats quite a large pitcher there.

Can't help you on IDs since I don't have an alata and neps aren't my field of expertise (err...not sure if i have any field of expertise...
rolleyes.gif
) but there are quite a lot of nepxperts here.

Suzanne

Thanks, Suzanne!

I'll go way out on a limb, I think the lowland nepenthes alata is a "type vert."

Heh.  That's french for green.  That's how it was listed, "type vert," and that was the closest pic I found on the internet.  It looked like a match to me.

I love this crazy nepenthes thing.  Discovering more in rainforests, hybrids -- there are so many cool pitcher plants, and more on the way.  Sarracenia are wonderful also, but don't open another can of worms here.

Here's the "spotted alata"?

spotalata.jpg

Hey that last one looks like N. Coccinea.  I don't have a "spotted Alata", so I could be wrong.  Something tells me its N. Coccinea though!
tounge.gif

SF

Here's a low quality (or bad photographer
smile.gif
) pic of my N. Coccinea.  See the similarity?
Image14b.jpg

I agree with SnowyFalcon. That is N. coccinea. The one you think is highland alata is actually a hybrid called N. 'Miranda', which is most likely the cross of N. maxima x N. mixta. The plant you're looking at as a lowland alata is actually N. ventrata, the hybrid of N. alata x N. ventricosa.
The N. 'Miranda' will produce pitchers almost a foot long once the plant gets up in size. Also, as the pitcher matures, the peristome will loose the striping and turn a solid deep red.

Trent

Here are a few photos of my N. X ventrata

nepenthesalatafull.jpg

nepenthesalataurnscl.jpg

N_ventrataUrn4-1-03Front.jpg

My largest pitcher so far.

N_ventrataFlaredFullPitcher.jpg

Variation of the pitchers on the plant.

N_ventrataPolymorphicUrn.jpg

Young pitcher.

N_ventrataLargePlants.jpg

Pix of relevant nepenthes from NL  I think youze guys are pretty smart.  I'd give you two out of three.  Of course I was 1/2 of 3 with liberal grading.  Partial credit.

I still think my "lowland alata" is one, which would still only get me 1/2 point.  Drat!  The pitchers don't 'collar,' for lack of a better term, red.  I agree, the shape is almost identical, and the particular photo I used makes it look like the pitcher is going to turn red on top.  They don't however.  The tops brown first, but not redden especially. The largest pitcher (only just over 4") is all green.

Actually, I'd say that these plants "collar," oh well, exactly like those reddish "green" alata in the Netherlands do.  It's there very faintly, but the red never even quite gets to what is visible on the left pitcher in Nick's useful photo showing three pitchers together.  Then, the area reddens with the rest of the pitcher if at all.  

This photo actually shows pitchers from both plants from the same little nursery.  It shows the biggest green pitcher from the one plant. It's seen better days.  

Whatever the green-red pitcher plant is, it is the clear champion at eating bugs.  The local bugs seem to jump in.  

Perhaps mine are sick or not as mature, therefore not reddening around the tops?  Dunno.  

Here's the best angle I could get with multiple larger pitchers for now. Some have browned from the top. One on the right looks a bit misleading. It's actually brown on the top. It looks more reddish in this pic.  

pitchcomparo.jpg

Beagle - The page your linking to with the N. 'alata' is picturing a N. xVentrata. Your plant is also a N. xVentrata. It has been labelled N. alata for the past 20 years and is still being mass produced in Europe and sold as such today.

Growing conditions will greatly affect coloration. The difference you see will probably diminish as the two plants settle in to your growing area.

I had posted a reply in a different thread on difference between N. alata, N. ventricosa and N. xVentrata but not sure where it went. Basically the pointed folds in the peristome are characteristic for N. ventricosa and not N. alata. N. alata has a clear petiole. The tapering of the leaf blade all the way down to the stem is characteristic of N. ventricosa. There are other differences but these are the easier ones to look for.
Tony

Thanks, Tony.

So, In summation:

1) N. coccinea

2) N. 'Miranda' which is probably N. maxima x N. mixta

3) N. ventrata which is a European 'alata' but is N. alata x N. ventricosa.

If that's it then I'm up to speed.  Thanks to everyone. Glad there was no actual money wagered.
smile.gif

I guess if I know what I have, it's time to get MORE! Heh.

Back