What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. natalensis or something else

Last year I was given a pot of tiny D. cuneifolia seedlings and this stray plant appeared in the pot. It is 1.5 inches across and I think it is probably D. natalensis or something similar, but I'm not sure. I know I should wait until it flowers, but I don't like 'unknowns'!

mysterydew1.jpg

Vic

Hi Vic,

The plant looks like Drosera cuneifolia or admirabilis to me. A picture of stipules would be very helpful. I'm leaning mor to Drosera cuneifolia. Does this plant differ from the other cuneifolias in this pot ?

Take a look on the following link :

http://www.carnivoren.org/cgi-bin....8073651

It's a discussion about the differences of Drosera admirabilis and cuneifolia. If you don't understand german, the pictures might also be usefull.

Christian

It has grown much faster than the other plants in the pot, which also may or may not be D. cuneifolia. The leaves of the form of D. cuneifolia that I'm familiar with have broader (wider leaves) like this. Some of the other plants have wider-looking leaves, like this D. cuneifolia.

Looking at the pictures on the German Forum, you could be right, I hope so. It's a nice rosetted sundew anyway. I can try and get in closer for a picture of the stipules tomorrow, when the sun come out.

Vic

The stipules are not very large or obvious on this plant, I don't think I can get a good photo of them without taking off a leaf, and even then I doubt it!

The other seedlings in the pot are only about 1.5 cm across and look like this, which to my eye are more cuneiform (wedge-shaped).

cuneifoliaA.jpg

I am also growing this, which is supposed to be D. admirabilis, which looks different to the plants I posted photographs of in the S. African thread http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....2;st=75. I think Tamlin might have this one growing too, I sent him some seeds.

admirabilisA.jpg

Sorry about the larger than usual file size of these pictures, I'm just trying to include as much detail as possible.

Vic

Vic,
Your top pic there looks suspiciously like my aliciae....but I guess the do look similar to natelensis....
confused.gif

Welcome to the ongoing can of worms from South Africa. Vic, I think you have it fairly right, this plant seems to have significantly longer lamina than D. cuneifolia, and has some affinities with D. natalensis, particularly the "D. coccicaulis" type form (which like D. venusta I have always associated with D. natalensis)

The D. admirabilis are growing, but remain very small plants overall. Based on what I see, this certainly seems to be D. admirabilis. (YAY!!&#33
wink.gif

I suppose the plant in question might have some introgression: this seems like a likely answer to why it is different appearing, and I would speculate that is is D. natalensis x D. cuneifolia if it is indeed a hybrid. It sould be interesting to see if the plant self seeds, and whether the seed is viable.

It's a beautiful plant! Congratulations on your germination of D. cuneifolia as well, most of my efforts to germinate this species have failed. Did you do anything special by way of stratification?
Sorry to go off topic, feel free to respond in a more appropriate thread.

Back