Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosera dielsiana ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I grew this plant from seeds labeled Drosera dielsiana. As i have received lots of most probably wrong labeled seeds of this species, i am very interested in your oppinions. I think, it is a dielsiana.

I am especially interested in the flowers of this species. Are there forms of Drosera dielsiana, with styles whose apexes are more thentwo times divided ?

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like a dielsiana to me , mines is about to flower as well and seeing that cpi fo your flower i can't wait for mines to .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a classic D. dielsiana, at least by my standards!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flower on that is just beutiful! It reminds me of my tdb water lilies.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for your answers!

I really had trouble to find such a plant! I most often got plants, that were clearly not Drosera dielsiana. I'm really happy to have this plant!

Christian

P.S. : Thanks for your Mail William!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it seems that my dielsiana has a very oval leaf and a short "stem" that leads to the base of the plant. Flowers look same
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with cephalotus88, my dielsiana have a trianglar or diamond shape leaf with short stem. My search on the web also show the dielsiana to have the same shape as mine.

I hate to dispute Tamlin, but are you sure this plant is a dielsiana?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I am as sure as it is possible to be sure. Read the pinned post on South African Drosera on the sundew forum to get an idea of the confusion regarding the South African species of similar karyotype.

You need to keep an open mind when it comes to these plants: the fact that your plant looks different does not mean that it too is not D. dielsiana. There is no "typical" D. dielsiana, even the holotype is but one member of a vastly variable species and can never reflect the wide variability to be found in this third largest species in S.A.

Growers tend to typify their own plants, and favor the appearance these individuals express. Seeking consensus on the internet is likewise optimistic. I am sure if you look a bit more, you will also find examples of plants of this species that don't look like yours, but these are rejected since they don't look like your plants.

I currently grow about 6 different forms of this species: everything from rosettes the size of a nickel to rosettes the size of a silver dollar: lamina round, sub-rotund to nearly spatulate. Flowers dark pink, light pink with a dark base, light pink. Pigment deep red to nearly green in the same light. Styles simply divided from the base, spoon shaped at the apex, or with further additional bifurcation.

Determination of D. dielsiana often devolves to what the plant is not, rather than what it is. As it lacks a tetrete petiole (round in x section) it cannot be D. burkeana. Without greater bifurcation of the styles it can't be either D. aliciae or D. natalensis. The other rosetted tropicals like D. cuneifolia, trinervia, etc all have very distinctive lamina....so what does this leave?

Don't look for "genetic purity" in the South Africans, you won't find it.

"Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast