What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You have that flytrap sitting in entirely too much water IMO. Why do you need that much water in there? They only need to be kept wet, not nearly submerged... How can you say "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!" rot chances are crazy high doing it that way...

I know i am just trying to get it to not float. When it floats it turns over.

there should not be enough water for it to float?

It floats because Lowe's had it slighty wet. Then putting it in standing water makes it float and the peat moss floats so the peat moss has to get use to the constant water.

I think what SK is saying is that is too much water. VFTs and sarracenia do not like to live in constantly submerged conditions. This will cause the roots to rot and die.

An inch or so of water at the bottom of the tray is enough.

I know what he is trying to say but when i put my new plants in their in the water it TURNS OVER AND THE ENTIRE PLANT IS UNDER WATER. I keep my plants a little lower than that but it just rained and i don't want to waist the water i also let it rest on another pot while in the water and VFTs and Sarracenia live in bogs which is in water right?

It appears as though it's potted in pure lfs not peat moss. So naturally it's gonna float.. Bogs are wet but not in water as you say, they are just basically constantly wet soil, but they may get submerged in heavy rains but only for a short time... The sarracenia don't mind it as much as vfts... Take a look at the insitu photos, do they look as though they are floating in water? No... Vfts are typically a bit drier than what people are accustomed to thinking as "bogs" and the ground water level in these bogs is several inches or more below the ground, not right at the level of the growth and rhizome. Maybe Mark can chime in on this and give you a better explanation as he basically has VFTs growing in his backyard.

:offtopic:

Move the discussion to another thread.

:usa2: right away!

I think what SK is saying is that is too much water. VFTs and sarracenia do not like to live in constantly submerged conditions. This will cause the roots to rot and die.

+1

Top watering when needed is best for me.

here is what the home depot on Madison in Riverside, ca has today

these are from Altman Plants in vista, Ca, LOL, love the sarracenia Cobra plants :0o:

2lmkvfn.jpg

ix5ult.jpg

9gk4le.jpg

Last edited:
The Sarracenia all look like S.x 'Judith Hindle' and the Nepenthes is undoubtedly N. x ventrata.

The package says "Cobra Lily" and underneath "Sarracenia" so they have all bases covered. :p

'Judith Hindle' seems to have been withdrawn from mass tissue culture but AG3 is offering "Dana's Delight". The two are easy to confuse in the early stages of pitcher growth.

Last edited:
Talk about poor labeling. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't cobra lily the common name for darlingtonia californica? Not any kind a Sarracenia.

[MENTION=12104]curtisconners[/MENTION] this thread is two years old...

Back