What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A near crash and burn

Six months ago I was driving north on I-95 from Miami at a rather boring 70 mph when an outta' control SUV driver, talking on a cell phone, pulled directly in front of me...and just STOPPED. This necessitated sudden deceleration on my part and this, in turn, scattered my newly purchased CPs, and their name tags all over my trunk.  I was rather UNHAPPY.
mad.gif

I managed to reconstruct the identities of all but three plants.  As you can see they are healthy...and very prolific.  It would like your opinions of the names of the three drosera pics I have posted.

That carpet of pink and green is at least a hundred seedlings.
d.sized.jpg

A real cutie.
c.sized.jpg

There are actually three plants (all the same type) and numerous seedlings in this pic.
b.sized.jpg

Thank you for your help and kind indulgence of my slightly out of focus pics.
biggrin.gif

Hello,
Sorry to here about your car incident! The first one is D. Spatulata, second possibly D. Capillaris, and third, another D. Spatulata, different form. Nice plants, especially the second!
Kevin

Thanks for the identities Kevin. Yeah, the second photograph is a real cutie.  There are about ten of its seedlings growing in the pot next to it.  How they got there, I haven’t a clue.
Fortunately I got stopped in time and didn't rear end the guy but my trunk was littered with soil, plants and name tags.
One of the name tags, which I never did associate with any plant, was D. Alicae.  Since you identified all three of the pics I posted...I must have some other plant misidentified.  Oh well.....
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

Hello,
Actually now that I think about it, the second one probably is D. alicae. Just looked like cappilaris at first,
Kevin

Hi,

Here are my thoughts :

The first one looks like D. capillaris to me. I don't think this is a spatulata because the form of the petiole. The same for the third one. The petiole of Drosera spatulata is round in cross section, while the one of Drosera capillaris is more less oval.

The second is hard to tell. I don't really have an idea. It looks to me like a small D. collinsiae.

Christian

I agree with Christian, the first and third are most likely D. capillaris. The second plant is certainly not D. aliciae, and I do not think that it is D. collinsiae either. Until this flowers, I suggest you label it D. roundandstickya.

Hi Lauderdale,
Nice plants. So you've also finally worked out the complex workings of the computer and managed to upload your photos. Congrats. Once you've done it once you wonder why it was so difficult initially eh? Anyway thanks to you and others I can now upload photos also. Thanks alot, Neil.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Ok Tamlin...pic number two's official x temporary name is;
D. Cutie x roundandstickya.
biggrin.gif

By the way, it is one confused little drosera.  It flowered in May and is at it again in November.  What the heck...winter just started down here...it got down to sixty degrees last night but eighty two will be the high for the day.  I will post photo when flowers are open.
Neil,  I blame all of my internet troubles on the guy who invented it...Al Gore
tounge.gif

wow.gif

BTW, what was originally written on the name tags that came out of these three pots? From your initial description of this incident it seems easier to match the tag to the plant rather than start from scratch and dig up names out of thin air.

Back