What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. anglica CA X HI

I have recently received some questions over the veracity of my D. anglica CA X HI because of flower color.  I am not an expert on Drosera taxonomy, so I am going to have to defer to the experts here  
wink.gif

If someone would look at the pictures I have here D. anglica and comment, I would appreciate it (especially dew experts).  If anybody has 'true' D. anglica CA X HI flower pictures, could you post them please?  I would like to see the difference.

For right now though, there is a big question mark going on the tag of the plant!

SF

Not. Drosera anglica is always white flowered. I have never heard of a pink flowered form.

This is Drosera nidiformis.

Is it?
rock.gif
 Well, Jeremiah did send me both a D. nidiformis and a D. anglica CA X HI in the same package, maybe the labels got switched somehow?  So this means that the D. anglica is the one with the problems stated in the sundew forum....  

How sure are you Tamlin?  What made you come to that conclusion?  All the facts point to that ID, so you are probably right.  Can you tell me how to differentiate between these two species, as I've heard they are very similar in adulthood.  

I appreciate your help so much!

SF

I am 100% sure. The flower is the most distinctive feature between the two species. Once you eliminate D. anglica on the basis of the flower color alone (the veining in the petals is also characteristic), look at the petioles and scape. See those small hairs? D. anglica is glabarous: no hairs, and the petiole in cross section is more round. The lamina of D. nidiformis are longer, and have a distinct "dish" to them. There aren't many upright forms of Drosera: D. intermedia is also white flowered, the upright form of D. capillaris has much shorter lamina. In general habit, D. anglica is more erect, and the rosette tighter than D. nidiformis. Other possibilities are rare enough to be eliminated by this distinction alone: they are not common in collections. Also, I have grown this plant many, many times. It's charateristics are internalized with me. I recognize it as I would recognize my own shoes in a row of shoes.

Alright, thanks a million Tamlin. You have no idea how much better this makes these recent circumstances. You're one of a kind!

SF

I'll take that as a compliment, hee hee, but I am not so unique. I'm just a guy that loves these plants and can't get enough of them........literally:)

Yup, that plant ain't no D. anglica CA X HI.
Here's a pic of the actual plant with white flowers.
ang_white_flower.jpg

larry,
That's one of the best jobs I've seen yet growing the Drosera anglica (CA x HI), and very nice photo as well.

Tamlin,
How did you guess that the suspect plants flower color was pink? The only post in this thread that mentions "pink", is yours? The initial post does mention flower color as an issue, but it doesn't say what that color issue is.

There has been other discussion of this plant both on the listserv, by e-mail, etc. I had posted a picture of this plant's flower and that's how this all started, because of flower color. So really, you have to read in multiple places to get the whole story!

SF

Additional photos were posted to another forum I believe.

Back