What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identity quiz.

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Here is a photo of some CP seed magnified 60x. Can anyone guess what might grow from these seed?

mystery_seed_A.jpg
</span>

Uhhhhhh, eggplants?

I know and you know I know (hee, hee Joseph I recognize a trap when I see one) so I REFUSE to make a comment.

Anyone else want to spring for it?

Dionaea muscipula is my thought.  hehehe  
biggrin.gif

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>The wonderful diagnostic of seed testa. I like it. Thanks Tamlin for suggesting the possibilities. Now please get that reference publlished.  Yaahhh.</span>

Most of that went over my head, but I think I caught some of it...
rock.gif

SF

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Here is another one at 60x. Of course the first one was Dionaea muscipula

mystery_a.jpg
</span>

They're getting harder and harder, hee hee.  I go with Ms. Thistle's determination. I got the point, ha ha.

I can picture Pinguiculaman standing there with a "P" on his chest in some wild green spandex outfit with a cape, and magnifying beams coming out of his eyes.

Let em rip! Spank me!
laugh.gif

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Okay, you seed experts out there, see if you can idenfity these five:

a.jpg

b60.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg
</span>

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>What I really think is nice about these microphotos is that they were all made with a childs toy, called the "Digital Blue QX3+" created by cooperation between Intel and Mattel. Sold online at Toys R Us for about $50.

Sorry if this sounds like a commercial. I am just sharing something I think is a nice tool for a nice price.

BTW there is a website that gives precise guidance for enhancing the abilities of this particular device. Microscope page at Florida State University</span>

The first one is vft seeds of corse , the second one looks like drosophyllum or ibicella lutea . the last picture look like they belong to temperate and american sundews .

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Here is a new one. Is no one going to see if they can specifically idenfity 1-5? Goldtrap was close on some of them.

Below is another one at 200x. This one I will offer some hints on. It was discovered in my lifetime and it is a very tropical plant.

f.jpg
</span>

Hi,

Here are my suggestions :

The first two pictures are Dionaea and Drosophyllum.

The pictures with numbers :

1. Drosera dielsiana
2. Drosera binata
3. Drosera nidiformis
4. Drosera capillaris
5. Drosera spatulata

How many of these are right ? I hope at least one
smile.gif

The last seed could be Drosera petiolaris or something in this complex.

If i see these pictures, i can't wait to get my new microscope
smile.gif

Christian

Joseph, that's a great link! I've been thinking about buying the QX3 for a while, I think I will get one now
smile.gif

Joseph,

My guesses:

1. filliformis
2. D. anglica
3. capensis
4. D. intermedia
5. capensis (okay.... so I'm obviously clueless...)

The last two from Christian:

D. indica or burmannii?
D. something tuberous upright.. :p

Did I miss em all?

Hmm... gotta get out my stereomicroscope and take a look at some of the stuff in my seedbank!
laugh.gif

-noah

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Christian,

I think these are the same species:

d_burmannii_1.jpg

d_rotundifolia.jpg
</span>

Hi,

Noah : My first pictures one of the two, that you suppose
smile.gif
The second is not a tuberous Drosera.

Pinguiculaman : Your first picture looks like mine. Is the second one Drosera rotundifolia ? If so, you're wrong
smile.gif

Christian

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Key:

1 = Drosera spatulata 'Ruby Slippers' (Name Pending)
2 = Drosera intermedia (Actual identity - Drosera anglica)
3 = Drosera spatulata (Kansai type) same as 5
4 = Drosera capillaris (green plant, white flower)
5 = Drosera spatulata (Kansai type) same as 3</span>

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Yes, Christian; my guess is that the first one of the last group is Drosera burmannii and the second is Drosera rotundifolia as you guessed. I know your second one had a longer endosperm than does my Drosera rotundifolia, perhaps it is Drosera anglica? I haven't looked at very many different seed yet. Just got the microscope. I will keep looking and taking photos. If I have any in my collection, I should eventually be able to find some.</span>

Back