What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping Mystery

G

I know they really need to flower before you can tell for sure. But does anyone have any clue what these pings could be?
unknownping2.jpg

unkownping.jpg

I pretty sure the first one is P. potosiensis and the second is P. 'Aphrodite'. {Terminology corrected}

Mike

Thanks Mike! I had P. potosiensis in my collection at one time so that is probably right.. nice to finally find it again. Now if I can just keep the feline out of the terrarium...

I would still be very hesitant about labeling the plant as potosiensis. I have not witnessed the distinct red center in potosiensis. The plant looks exactly like my hemiepiphytica when it was still a small plant.
I am sure the second plant is not 'Aphrodite', but more likely a moranensis x gypsicola hybrid.

The red form of potosiensis should be red throughout. One interesting observation about hemiepiphytica is that only young rosettes have the colored center, at least from the plants I have grown. Flowering sized plants do not seem to exhibit the coloration. This plant is relatively fast growing. It will probably flower in less than a year under good conditions. Then you can make an accurate id.

The wait is almost over. Today I noticed a flower stalk coming up on the Ping in question
smile.gif

Here is a shot of the flower of ping #1. It's not  open yet but maybe it will shed some light on what species?

ping1.jpg

It is an emarginata. This only goes to show how necessary flowers are for the identification of Pinguicula.

Back