What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Sarracenia

I was wondering what you see as the possible parents of this plant?

Sarracenia_BZ_001CH_090003_1.sized.jpg

looks like s. oreophila x ( flava var cuprea x leucophylla ) . thats a very nive plant tamlin , reminds me of the 70's , groovy
biggrin.gif

peace out
tounge.gif

Definitely has some oreophila in it, and maybe some purpurea too (to account for the waviness of the lid)? It reminds me of the series of hybrids like 'Autumn Splendor' by John Hummer.

SF

I would go with oreophila and purpurea definitely in it, with a third parent possibly being flava or rubra, but leaning toward flava. Hard to say exactly how they would be mixed though, either (o x p) x f, or (p x f) x o.

Your thoughts are the same as mine. I haven't checked out 'Autumn Splendor' but I will so some hunting. Thanks for the tip. I also agree with the S. flava influence. The plant did flower and their form is S. flava. It's a fine and robust plant, and it has the added charm of not rotting away. For some reason prey capture is lower on this hybrid. Most other pitchers are crammed full of prey before the middle of August. They all capture large wasps here, and they fill up quickly and rot. This one has a more modest appetite and stays looking good all summer.

Thanks much for your thoughts!

Back