What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia ID help

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hi

I'm posting this pic for Bob (Mwcsomething or other...I can't ever remember your ID name!)  
rock.gif

He got this from Lowes and would like an ID if possible

bobssarra.jpg

Thanks!

Suzanne

Which Nep is in there? Since I am told that whatever is being sold is a mongrel, I'll go out on a limb and say that one of the no-brainer parents is a leucophylla. Are the lower leaves from the same plant, only younger? They look kind of like a rubra.

Based on the shape, I would say Judith Hindle. Being as green as it is, it is in desperate need of more light.

I was thinking along the lines of needing more light myself. He did send me a pic of a smaller pitcher that had more red in it but the pic was pretty blurry so I didn't include it. Judith Hindle crossed my mind but again with it being so green its hard to tell.

You'd have to ask Bob about the nep. I don't know if he knows I've posted this yet but I will let him know. Maybe he can add some additional info.

Thanks folks!

the neps in the background are also in question (actually there are two neps I don't have an id for), the one is from lowes, the other is a N. ventricosa (in the left corner, furthest from the front). The one on the right of the picture is the nep from lowes. No id of course, and I think it is a N. alata (it shows signs of being a spotted form). Yes, the other pitchers in the picture (whew, say that five times fast) are from the same sar. I got this sar from lowes, after it was literally torn from its medium and was bouncing around its container. I got it for $2. I didn't think it would live. I got two plants from it and decided to put it under the lights and see what happened. All this may be in vain as I am seeing another (more colorful pitcher) pitcher arise. I know, it is very pale. I have four 40w growlux on this terrarium. The sar was in another terrrarium with only one grolux and further from the light source. The sar is now considerably closer to the light and seems to like it. I have moved all my plants to within a few inches of the lights. I have only had the plant about three weeks.

I am going to suggest S. 'Judith Hindle'.

Here is what two of my plants from pft looked like when I was growing them in lower light conditions:

SJudithHindleUnwrapped.jpg

Photo taken some time after under more ideal lighting conditions:

S_JudithHindle4_2003Purple.jpg

nick, that is what I thought. I hope the plants pick up some coloration. What lights do you have on them to make them so colorful? I don't have any more room for lighting, 4 40 watt grolux is all I can do. How long did it take for the plants to go from green to that purple??

mcrwt644,
No doubt that deep purple came from direct sunlight. You may have to wait until summer to get those results. 4 growlux should give you a little coloration, but not anything like that.

Back