What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes collectors

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I only have 2 nepenthes. I purchased this plant at a garden center and it did not have a tag. I'm hoping that you serious collectors will be able to help ID this plant.
Thanks

http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/nep.html

The plant in the photo is N. tobaica x N. ventricosa. This plant is in mass tc from Europe and is now being distributed thru Garden Centers around the US and Europe. It's an easy grower and stays small and compact. They do best in intermediate conditions-ours got a little sulky during the hottest part of the summer here in south Florida.

Trent

Trent,

I bought this plant and it was labled N. tobaica but it was soon clear that it was not (at least in my novice opinion). I believe I have this plant as well but mine is developing red speckling on the larger pitchers. Most pitchers are green especialy the small ones and the peristome on my plants look more ventricosa like. I don't have a digital camera or I would post a picture. Maybe I can borrow one.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,
Sure sounds like tobaica x ventricosa. The larger pitchers will pick up some reddish spotting, especially if it experiences bright days with cool nights. Every now and then they produce a pitcher that is very ventricosa-like.

Trent

Hello to everybody,

the last 2-3 jears you could find in nearly every garden center plants labeled with "Nepenthes tobaica". But this plants have nothing to do with N.tobaica.

This plants are simply hybrids between N.ventricosa and N.khasiana. And this plant is look like the same as I have in my collection.

Many greetings from Austria,
Guenter

elgecko's plant appears to be N. khasiana x ventricosa as it looks to me.

Sorry, I don't see khasiana at all. The hybrid of ventricosa x khasiana was made right here in south Florida by Ron Pratt years ago and he called it N. emmarene. There are a number of clones of emmarene around and the plant pictured does not look like any of them. However, it does look very much like the plant from the big Dutch nursery that is sold here in the US as N. tobaica. It is obviously a hybrid, and displays characteristics of N. ventricosa. Typical of what happens at the big Dutch wholesale nursery, they name the plant after the seed bearing plant. In this case it is tobaica, and the hybrid does exhibit tobaica like characteristics too. For one, it is small. We have plants of this clone that are several years old and it never reaches the proportions of N. emmarene or any other khasiana hybrid for that matter. It retains a smallish growth habit even when vining out-reminding me of N. tobaica.

Trent

Hi Trent, thats an interesting history of the hybrids. I think it just appears to have khasiana in it due to the operculum shape and the leaf shape. N. tobiaca looks like it has more of a lanced shape to the leaves. The leaves on elgeckos plant look just like khasiana and ventricosa, quite blunt and pretty wide, just the opposite of N. tobiaca's leaves.

I can see your point, Dustin, but it still does not look like the plants I've seen that are for sure khasiana x ventricosa, and I've seen a number of clones. Also, why call it tobaica if tobaica has nothing to do with it. I know khasiana is CITES Appendix I, and there may be a certain fear factor concerning shipping across international borders even if a hybrid includes the name "khasiana". So if you're gonna lie about it, pick something a little more romantic than tobaica. Even distillatoria would be better!
Another pointer towards tobaica is this cute little hybrid's propensity for intermediate-highland growing conditions. They do not like south Florida summer heat, and we have to put them in the coolest spot in our greenhouse from June to Oct. We have this same problem with tobaica and ventricosa. Khasiana is a weed for us, as are its hybrids, thriving in extreme heat during the summer. In fact, it is one of the few species that can be grown outdoors in full sun in south Florida.
Sorry gang, but I'm gonna hold my ground.
smile.gif

Trent

Wow.  Glad I finally read this thread...I have that same plant, and I too was under the impression it was a tobiaca.  I must say, though, I did have some doubt because the pitcher shape doesn't seem right.  

Is anyone familliar with how tollerant this one is to lower humidity?  If it is, indeed, khasiana x ventricosa, one would assume it could be grown in fairly dry conditions (for a nep).

Trent, I'm holding my ground on my descision too! Well looks like we come down to two alternates..

N. khasiana x ventricosa
N. tobiaca x ventricosa

Thank for all the help with IDing this plant. The only one that knows what this plant is, is the plant. It has a hard time communicating with me.

schloaty,
I've been growing this plant inside my house since fall. It is hanging in a south, sliding glass door. The humidity in the house is usually around 10%. This plant and my Nepenthes 'ventrata', my only 2 neps, grow and pitcher in these conditions. (Also I was shocked when I had to move 1 of my cape sundews, about 2 months ago, from my terrarium and it has been growing great with low humidity.) They should be feeling some relief from the dry air in my house. 2 weeks ago I installed a humidifer on my furnace.

Dustin,
How about (tobaica x khasiana)xventricosa.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I agree about the lid and leaf width, but every primary khasiana hybrid I've seen gets large and leggy, and this thing stays small and compact. Unless there's a dwarf form of khasiana, some of the emmarenes I've seen have leaves longer than the diameter of these mystery hybrid plants. Khasiana gets big, and its a trait passed on in its hybrids.
Maybe this hybrid is more complex than we're guessing.

Trent

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Feb. 23 2004,09:13)]Dustin,
How about (tobaica x khasiana)xventricosa.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I agree about the lid and leaf width, but every primary khasiana hybrid I've seen gets large and leggy, and this thing stays small and compact. Unless there's a dwarf form of khasiana, some of the emmarenes I've seen have leaves longer than the diameter of these mystery hybrid plants. Khasiana gets big, and its a trait passed on in its hybrids.
Maybe this hybrid is more complex than we're guessing.

Trent
I'm going to try and stay out of the general debate, but I thought it best to note that which parent donates the pollen and which the egg grately influences the final appearence of many Nepenthese hybreds. Also, it is not uncommon to bread a hybred back to one parent in order to increase the characteristics of that plant. In most plants, larger size is domenent over smaller, therefor, it is intirly likely that this is a second gen hybred selected for it's double set of smaller growth genes ;) Just thought I'd offer up the data, I don't know if it usefull, but would explain a lot.

Back