Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which nep am I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent and All,
    You would think tobaica would be involved somewhere, to get misnamed that way. The ventricosa influence seems obvious(to me, at least). The logical guess would be tobaica x ventricosa, but it almost looks like it has khasiana in it-I don't know... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,
    I know that the breeder-propagator of this hybrid names the plants after the female. It's the same outfit that sells Miranda and Gentle. If you've ever seen their wholesale pricelist, they call these to plants : N. maxima Miranda and N. maxima Gentle. Obviously, they are not maximas any more than the Nep in question is not tobaica. Why would they call this plant tobaica if the podbearer was not tobaica-or possibly a mislabled tobaica hybrid? The pollen donor could have been an emmarene, ventricosa, some other ventricosa hybrid. They will not divulge the parentage on the basis of proprietary information.
    The point I have been trying to make is not to call it 'emmarene' because no one can prove that it is (ventricosa x khasiana). True emmarene was made by a couple of guys in Miami-allow me to name drop: Ron Pratt and Craig Johnson, using simultaneously blooming ventricosa and khasiana in their private collections. They dispersed the seed to a number of growers. The plants among the seedlings that were strongly reddish in color were collectively called 'Savanah Rose'. The name emmarene is not really recognised by the IRA because it is a grex name. Anyone remaking the cross could call it emmarene if they wanted to, but could call it something else as well. The ICPS would say its a bogus name anyway.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,

Beleive me, I would never suggest it be called N. tobaica.
    This nursery makes some nice tc plants. But thanks to them, we have a lot of people with "N. alata" and "N. tobaica" on their growlists, and they are wrong. I think Clyde (Sharon his sister-in-law has a list online now) still calls N. miranda, "N. mixta" , as I was told that is how they originally started calling miranda. He also has something N. Blama Koto, which I assumed was Balmy mispelled, but it keeps showing up on his list that way, year after year.....
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at Clyde's place on Saturday. He has a huge Miranda. Vines over six feet long and lower traps on the new vine are monstrous. We had a discusion about the Mixta-Miranda issue and I think he agrees that it should be called Miranda now.
    The Blama is supposed to be Balmy. It's a typo.
    A bunch of us converged on Clyde Saturday afternoon...Hamata was there. We had a good time.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. I was going to get one from him and I'll just ask for that one..... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    A guy from the list serve visited him and said the place had really suffered from the passing away of his wife and leading up to that. I sent some chocolates made in NE as cheer when the moment was arriving. How was everything(plants, Clyde, ect)?

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has been spending a lot of time getting things back on track. He's in good spirits and we actually helped him spruce up the place a little, but he had already made much headway. There's all kinds of stuff around there-you never know what you'll find.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be a great trip to do the South Florida swing and visit all your growers down there, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123