What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what the

Ok I was on a trip to the dominican republic and found some sorta strange plant
Sorry i dont have any pictures but hey

ok it has little leafs like a fern their green and the stock is a reddish brown it usually fully opens when the sun hits it but if/when you touch it the leafs wich consists of little leafs closes up rather fast and if all the leafs on the litttle stem get touches it pulls down to the main stem
any one have any idea as to what this is I'm just curios
rock.gif

sounds like a sensitive plant

Mimosa something or other, i think

It does sounds like Mimosa paduca (sp??) otherwise known as sensitive plant as Sarracenia stated.

Cool thanx i was wondering cauze it almost looked liked it could eat ants or somethin but ya that would make sense

awesome i want one like that. is it easy to take care of?

Mimosa are very easy to grow, and SO fun to play with.

ya the dam thing wont die down there

lol!! i'm gonna have to find some seeds. i don't know where i can get some

They're pretty easy to find, and some people here may have some extra seed. I will hopefully have some seed in fall after my plant flowers.
Do a search on Mimosa pudica

ok i will i found a website that sells them and ebay sells em too.
smile.gif

If it's pulling down to the ground it sounds more like the furn then the dicot...

Just come to Florida, you might find them growing as weeds in yards, parks, etc. in whatever time of year they are most noticeable. I haven't seen any recently though...

Its a mimosa.
These plants fold up to:
When folded up, you will see hairs and needles on it(does not look so yummy for animals to eat now!)

How long does it take for it to go back to its normal state so u can set it off again?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ May 31 2004,3:55)]How long does it take for it to go back to its normal state so u can set it off again?
20 minutes

cool, couple more questions,
1: Does it hurt the plant when u set it off?
2: Do they clump naturally, or do u have to propagate them in other means?
they seem very interesting
biggrin.gif

that I dont know, but would like to know, I've been teasing it all day
biggrin.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Back