Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia What???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's pure because the bulge in the middle/upper part of the pitcher. Maybe the occasional wild plant shows this but then wild populations are not 100% pure either. I would not consider a plant I found in the wild with such a noticeable bulge pure either. Just because it may be growing in a stand of the pure deal doesn't make it pure by default.

I also would not label it as a pure species because unless I could verify 100% without a doubt that it was absolutely the correct label, it would be better to call it a hybrid and avoid any confusion or potentially spreading something that is not correctly labelled. It would be a much lesser error to call it a hybrid even if it is not than to call it a species when it is a hybrid.

Perhaps your correct about 'Tarnok'. I have not done alot of research on it. Have it's chromosomes been counted to see how they differ from the type species? A plant does not necessarily have to have a differing number to have extra flower parts and may or may not show other differing characteristics in it's growth also.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like a judith hindle, or maybe Leucophylla x Oreophylla
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 21 2004,15:14)]I don't think it's pure because the bulge in the middle/upper part of the pitcher. Maybe the occasional wild plant shows this but then wild populations are not 100% pure either. I would not consider a plant I found in the wild with such a noticeable bulge pure either. Just because it may be growing in a stand of the pure deal doesn't make it pure by default.

I also would not label it as a pure species because unless I could verify 100% without a doubt that it was absolutely the correct label, it would be better to call it a hybrid and avoid any confusion or potentially spreading something that is not correctly labelled. It would be a much lesser error to call it a hybrid even if it is not than to call it a species when it is a hybrid.

Perhaps your correct about 'Tarnok'. I have not done alot of research on it. Have it's chromosomes been counted to see how they differ from the type species? A plant does not necessarily have to have a differing number to have extra flower parts and may or may not show other differing characteristics in it's growth also.

Tony
    I agree on your points. I don't think Tarnok have extra chromosomes, but you can have the dna within a chromosome double up and give simmilar effects. To my knowledge, the most common(and only I heard of) way plants suddenly double petal numbers is with a chromosome duplication or a genetic duplication with in a chromosome.

Now that I look a bit closer I could see it as being a really weird judith hindle, but if it were me I would wait to lable it till it flowerd.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, it is a pure leuco. Probably the 'Tarnok' variety, since that's what PFT was giving in the grab bag sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm back, and I agree with Tony about the bulge, which implies some purp in the background. The 'tarnoks' are straighter and narrower. Right now we have about half a dozen Tarnoks in flower-big red-orange pom-poms!

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (sarracenia @ Mar. 22 2004,07:22)]In my opinion, it is a pure leuco. Probably the 'Tarnok' variety, since that's what PFT was giving in the grab bag sale.
    yah, that was my origenal reasoning [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I don't think PFT would get hybreds out of no where mixed in.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the coloration looks like Tarnok with that reddish brown veining. SF is growing these plants just a few miles from where I am located, here in Boca Raton. We are in a sub-tropical environment, and sometimes not the easiest for Sarrs. If he got the plant from **********s, then it could be a Tarnok. As far as I know, its the only leuco in tc that's commercially available (soon that will change). That one trap has got to be the fattest pitcher I have ever seen produced by a Tarnok. It's almost Judith Hindle in proportions!

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice plant!
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast