What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric ???

This came in labelled as U. prehensilis.. hmm wrong color.
Thoughts on what it might be? I haven't done alot of examining yet but it would be nice to get some other opinions so I can hopefully narrow the field.
Thanks!
TOny
Utric.jpg

looks like the the head of a beast-man....wearing a hat! No clue what it is, though....

Looks like a "bunny" having a bad ear day!
tounge.gif

It looks fantastic. Tony that is quite the photo.

Excellent pun!

Thanks Matthias for your thoughts.  Here are some more photos.  I have not looked in detail with the U. graminifolia I have as I am still working out the details on this plant first.  It is one of the possibilities on my list along with U. heterosepela.

Here are some more pics.  Also the inflorescence is not twining but erect instead with a few bracts along the length.

Another view of the flower (slightly overexposed ;/)
Utric2flower.jpg

Back of the flower showing calyx etc.
Utric7flowerbackcal.jpg

Back of the flower showing calyx and bract and from what I can tell no bracteoles.
Utric6flowerback.jpg

Picture of the tip of the lower calyx
Utric8lowercaltipl.jpg

Leaf top and bottom showing what looks like 3 veins..
Utric9leaftop.jpg

Utric10leafbot.jpg

Trap side view
Utric5trapside.jpg

Trap top view
Utric4traptop.jpg

Internal glands
Utric3glands.jpg

Next I will have a look at the U. graminifolia for comparison (assuming it is labelled correctly since it has not flowered yet.)
I have also tried to pollinate it so maybe I will have a capsule and seeds to compare in Taylors also...
Tony

Hmmmm, hummmmmm, hooooom

It might just be Utricularia graminifolia. I could tell more from an overall view of the plant and a shot of the leaves. The color in the photo is more pink than I am used to seeing, U. graminifolia is usually more lavender colored.

http://www.sherlock-droserae.com/UploadF...._6r.jpg

Of course, the only way I can be sure is to actually grow a bit of it, Tony. For some reason I am cursed with an inability to maintain this in my collection, and my last attempt leaves me with a stolon or 2 trying to endure. You are probably asking if this is yet another of my nefarious attempts at getting a free plant, but I refuse to answer.

I've already promised you a plant of this (U. graminifolia) for when the weather warms up... Let me know when I can send!
biggrin.gif

Thanks;> I took the pics using my digital camera held onto the eyepiece of the microscope.

Thanks Tamlin for the help. I can take more pics and if you want to see the plant by all means..
Unfortunately I can not really compare to U. graminifolia because my pieces seem to be dwindlying in size and it just refuses to grow much at all and probably won't be around any longer. This plant on the other hand has grown very well under the same conditions.

I have looked at all of BobZ's links to both species. Taylors Monograph indicates they are very similar with only some minor differences in the key.
Tony

Yes, withering away to nothing describes U. graminifolia well, at least in my collection. There is another possibility, but the name eludes me right now. I have seen another flower that I though looked a lot like U. graminifolia. I'll do some browsing and see if I can find it again.

Back