Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another sundew to identify

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Here are some pictures of an unidentified Drosera, i have grown from seeds. I have no idea, what it could be!

higher resolution

higher resolution

higher resolution

higher resolution

higher resolution

higher resolution

I know, this is not enought to identify it. But i'm just curious to hear, what others think of this plant! I will hopefully see an opened flower and seeds soon. If so, i will post pictures here.

Christian

P.S. : can anyone move this thread to the "identify that plant"-Forum please. I have posted it here by mistake. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Christian,

The short glandular scapes with few flowers, large, white to pale pink and the shape of the small lax rosettes with which are truncate at the ends and lack of stipules all speak strongly for a diagnosis of Drosera brevifolia.

Flowers should show 6 styles, not further divided. Seed should be ovoid and grey with elongate pits.

This is a finicky grower in my collection, but with care the plant returns from apparent death if you can manage to keep the apical merisem alive. Some say the plant returns from the roots, but I have not noted that this is so. Mine grow best in cool weather, dying back in the summer months. If there is anything left in the center, it regrows from this point when cooler weather sets back in.

I am about to sow a variety from Brazil and look forward to seeing how these plants compare with the form from North Carolina that I am currently growing.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Drosera brevifolia seems to fit! I have not thought of it, though. I have just compared my plant to the picture of the one in Donald Schnell's Book. It looks pretty much the same. I will see, what the seeds look like to be completely sure. A flower has not yet opened.

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Christian,

You are W.E.I.R.D.

I say that with the greatest affection.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jmmm... i might be getting infected with this thing after reading this forum for more than a year. I was also thinking about D.brevifolia [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're running with a bad bunch. Keep it up and soon you'll be catching errors in published Protolouge's like Christian did, or Robert Gibson will ask you to proof one of his articles, or ID a sundew in his collection <ahem> :-)

All seriousness aside, I earned those letters!

I have promised to make a bibliography of some Key publications in the Genus Drosera that will make one about 75% W.E.I.R.D - if you can internalize the data. (It's not half as complicated as romance) For the other 25% you have to either be able to slither up a Tepui on your belly while dodging gold digging gun toting desperados, have memorized the entire Phyllogeny of plant evolution from the dawn of time to tomorrow, be a jet-setting herbarium sifting son of a sundew with laterite in your pores, or think L-ribosomal DNA markers and Bootstrap values are sexy.

You may also need to learn German.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have planed to cover all my Drosera in pictures (seeds, scapes, stipules, flowers...) for a long time. But it takes an enormous amount of time and luck(!), that i currently do not have. So, this process is very slow going on. For an not at all complete example see the pictures of the mysterious D. capillaris var brasiliensis here :

http://www.utricularia.net/drosera/capillaris1.htm

I already have taken seed-pictures of many other plants. All of my pictures (and some more) can be seen here :

http://www.utricularia.net/sonstiges/samenbilder.htm

There are still many more coming as time goes by. I already have some more on my computer, that i will get online later.

William, as i'm lucky enought to speak and read german i think i can become 80% W.E.I.R.D. with your promised bibliography.

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    William, this is interesting to me:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I am about to sow a variety from Brazil and look forward to seeing how these plants compare with the form from North Carolina that I am currently growing.
    So you have a form from NC, yet:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Mine grow best in cool weather, dying back in the summer months. If there is anything left in the center, it regrows from this point when cooler weather sets back in.
    Isn't that sort of a-typical for most plants from NC? Or is this typically a winter grower? W.I.E.R.D. indeed!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast