What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown sarracenia

Hi,

I've had this plant for some time but have never been able to put my finger on its parentage I know theres some purpurea but other than that I'm not sure. Heres a pic..  

Unknown%20Sar.JPG

Thanks for the help

Jerry

Wait, i just noticed windows in the back... maybe it has some minor in it, too?

Thanks for the quick reply Spectabilis. I dont think those are windows more likely water drops as it was foggy when i took this picture and you see no windows on the back of the left pitcher. I think Purpurea x Flava is a good guess though, thanks!

Edit: Bah now im seeing them to maybe i need to start paying better attention to my own plants  
tounge.gif
but dont you think if it was minor the hood would hang more?

See ya,
Jerry

hmm... Maybe its a ([Sarracenia purpurea x flava] x [Sarracenia purpurea x minor])

EDIT: Definately has minor in it. Look at the peristome, how its "beaky" shaped

Sounds good to me thanks for the help figureing this guy out
smile.gif

See ya,
Jerry

It isn't easy getting an ID off a picture, but I looked at this for a while, and it still looks like S.X catesbaei to me. Not a very colorful one, but very nice in its structure. Put that in full sun, and I bet it would color up beautifully. Spec, I think you're wrong---again---I see no minor influence in the hood, or anywhere else. This is purely S. purpurea X S. flava = S.catesbaei

mad.gif
why must you, and a few others, go around and pick on me?
sad.gif

Take a closer look. There are windows on the pitchers. HAS to have some kind of minor in it!

Also, ([Sarracenia purpurea x flava] x [Sarracenia purpurea x minor])
the purp x flava is catesbei... so let me rephrase that

([Sarracenia x catesbei] x [Sarracenia purpurea x minor])
OR, it could be:
([Sarracenia x catesbei] x Sarracenia minor)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Spec, I think you're wrong---again
that was pretty #### mean dude, I mean you can see the windows in the back.
wow.gif
. There might be minor in that hybrid sarr.

I don't know about you guys, but to me it looks like a purp x leucophylla. I see small windows on both pitchers - small and not very numerous, but they're there. I don't see any minor in it at all. The lid would be smaller and bent over more if there was minor in it. If those small white areas are water drops and not fenestrations, then I would say purp x flava. If they are in fact minute fenestrations, then I'd say purp x leuco.

Either way, I'm slightly curious as to the coloration. Is this plant grown in full sun? To me, it appears like it is not getting enough light, especially if it's a purp x leuco. If it is in full sun, it is certainly an interesting color form. Where did you get it?

I will put some new pics up later and see if those are windows or just water drops. As for the light its grown in full sun in a bog garden in my back yard. And i *think* i got it at a plant sale a while back at a nature center but im not sure it was a few years back.

See ya,
Jerry

Well I just ran down and had a look and yes there are windows but thay are very small and scattered if it had Leucophylla in it I'm sure there would be more perhaps (Leucophylla x Flava)x Purpurea? I'm clueless  
tounge.gif

See ya,
Jerry

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ May 18 2004,1:20)]
mad.gif
sad.gif

Take a closer look. There are windows on the pitchers. HAS to have some kind of minor in it!
Why must you insist that you are right and everyone else is wrong?

There are many explainations for the fenestrations on the pitcher that do not include a minor parent. A lecuo could account for that, so could thripe damage. Ostiem said it might have been water but you conviniently ignored that remark (and yes later it turned out that it was not but you were set in your answer before he looked at the plant.) It could be a transposon based mutation that causes some cells to be defective in chloroplast function/expression. There are always alternative answers and ignoring them does not make them go away

You also ignore some basic genetic principles, like the fact that the minor hood trait is very highly expressed when it is a parent and there is zero indication of that trait in this plant.

All things being equal I am inclined to believe that this is a purp x leuco form. I have a couple leuco hybrids that exhibit that similar mottled aspect without the full blown white spotting that sometimes occurs. The leuco could also account for the shape of the lip quite easily

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ May 18 2004,8:49)]
[b said:
mad.gif
sad.gif

Why must you insist that you are right and everyone else is wrong?

There are many explainations for the fenestrations on the pitcher that do not include a minor parent. A lecuo could account for that, so could thripe damage. Ostiem said it might have been water but you conviniently ignored that remark (and yes later it turned out that it was not but you were set in your answer before he looked at the plant.) It could be a transposon based mutation that causes some cells to be defective in chloroplast function/expression. There are always alternative answers and ignoring them does not make them go away

You also ignore some basic genetic principles, like the fact that the minor hood trait is very highly expressed when it is a parent and there is zero indication of that trait in this plant.

All things being equal I am inclined to believe that this is a purp x leuco form. I have a couple leuco hybrids that exhibit that similar mottled aspect without the full blown white spotting that sometimes occurs. The leuco could also account for the shape of the lip quite easily
[b said:
mad.gif
sad.gif
That was a joke. I dont know where I am saying I am right and everyone else is wrong... But everyone says I'm wrong without even looking at what I said... I'm just saying, do you see people scream in other peoples faces "You're wrong AGAIN"? No, they get more of a: "Looks like so and so to me, I dont see the so and so that you see in it"
Maybe this is just a big misunderstanding... I didn't mean any harm with the "being picked on" post, that was just a joke... But I've noticed people take my jokes too seriously these days... Maybe I should just stop with them. I don't know.

What I'm saying is, people seem to be just as set on me being wrong than actually taking into account what I said. People scream in my face what THEY think. They could just explain it to me, like you did, instead of screaming in my face that I'm wrong.

Because i knew it wasnt water... But I never took into account the possibility (probability) That it was leuco giving it the windows... You have to remember it was late in the night.

Theres something in the peristome that makes me think of minor, I'm not sure what it is, It's hard to describe.

Anyways, taking the leuco in account, I would have to say its:

([Sarracenia purpurea x flava] x [Sarracenia purpurea x leucophylla])

Thats just what I see in it... two parts purpurea, one part flava, and one part leucophylla/minor
laugh.gif

Spec, you're not wrong, but inexpierenced which we all once were and still are, CPs are vast and there is much exploring left to do...it may never get finished. Do you know how much personal expierence Bugweed has with the genus Sarracenia? Aaron (sarracenia) also is a Sarracenia expert I say. These folks pretty much know what they are talking about, not that you don't, because you are quite knowledgable in CPs, but many of your claims are very quick and you don't take time to think out replies...rather post them, then edit or add another reply right after it. Sarracenia hybrids (simpler ones) can be identified usually by any average grower, more difficult ones require more expierenced growers to have a shot at them because many parents influences can be expressed, but in almost undectable traits. So take in heed advice and use it.
By the way, your "joke" was quite serious towards Bugweed.

I have nothing to say about your post... Its completely true. But I didn't mean my "joke" to be very serious, or directed *too* much at bugweed...
tounge.gif
I was just referring to the posts of jimscott and lavenderdon pecking me
laugh.gif

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding caused by my "Joke".

-Spec

I am also leaning toward the leuco x purp. I to am very curious about the lack of color in the mix. How long have you owned this? Can't wait to see the flower.

Hi Copper,

I've had it about 2-3 years and it has not flowered yet but I do wish it would.

See ya,
Jerry

Back