What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery cp

I got this CP yesterday because it was calling out my naming just making me buy it hehe. I'm not really sure what it is though. The tag said cobra lily, but I wanted to make sure what exactly it is...

mystery.jpg

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Well, it's definitely not a cobra lily! Looks like a S. psittacina hybrid, but I'm not sure which one. Maybe S. x 'Doodle Bug' or S. x wrigleyana. It's a great looking plant though!
smile.gif

It looks like a form of x wrigleyana (which is Sarracenia leucophylla crossed with Sarracenia psitticina).

Errr..... what is it potted in? It looks dangerously like dried hanging basket moss, and not sphagnum...?

It looks rather like S. x 'Scarlet Belle'  [leucophylla*psittacina]

'Scarlet Belle' is one specific clone of x wrigleyana. It is not correct to label soething as 'Scarlet Belle' unless you know for sure that that's what it is, otherwise it's just a generic x wrigleyana (please, let's not get into cultivar registration issues.......
confused.gif
)

Case in point: Peter D'Amato killed the original Oreophila cultivar "Don Schnell". However, Peter told me he has 2 more growing that look just like the original, so he is legally able to use one of the 2 other seedlings to replace the original plant. How Pete killed the original is still unclear. The fact he can replace the originals with look alikes, is true. Thanks, Tamlin!!!

I cant see the photo......
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This is a fact, not an opinion. You may not like it, but such is the case Rob.

You misunderstand me. I am ambivalent in fact, and happy to go with whatever the correct approach is (I'm a grower at heart and don't much care whether I have a clone from X, Y, Z source, or just a darn fine plant wherever it came from - the moorei pic I posted is a case in point), but I merely don't want to reopen an old discussion on here. However, you still have to compare the plant with the published cultivar descrption before jumping to conclusions. Can someone post the formal description of 'Scarlet Belle' please?

If I were to want to stir up the nest, I guess I'd be musing over how cultivar designations tally with the recent taking out of "copyrights" on some plant hybrids/varieties. I am growing a dwarf nectarine which came with a label telling me that I was not allowed to reproduce the plant (propogate it) becuase that would be infringing the "copyright" of the first producer. Now, if someone can "incidentally" or "independently" reproduce the cultivar (for legal purposes), how does that kind of copyright/intellectual-property/patent work?

Aside fom all that, still slightly perturbed by the look of that there moss...

Rob,

My apologies mate, I guess I am getting a little gun shy on this subject after all the to do and arguing on the various forums. We have already been through it all here as well. Sorry if I sounded put out, I really don't care if everyone embraces the system or not anymore. It's sensible, but there is a lot to be said about maintaining genetic distinction as well.

I can't speak for the legitmacy of this name since it seems not to be listed in Dr. Schlauer's Database. I don't know how up to date the Data Base is, so either it was not submitted to the registrar (Dr. Schlauer) or the database is not up to date. A websearch might be more revealing.

I still cant see the photo..........
smile_h_32.gif

I'd be almost 100% certain it's 'Scarlet Belle'. There isn't any other wrigleyana that's readily available.

About not seeing the photos: when i was on my desktop, i couldn't see the photo either. but on my laptop i can. i'm no computer whiz, so i don't know what would cause that.

I think the photo was down for a bit.

I just found out how to post photos here. See my unknown Sarrs post?

I know what it is! Information obtained from california carnivores!
They sell the EXACTLY the same plant on their website.
Its name;
Sarracenia x wrigleyana "Scarlet Belle"

Thank you guys for the identification
biggrin.gif

oh and Rob-Rah it is sphagnum not basket moss. It just looks weird in that picture.
smile.gif

It would almost have to be 'Scarlette Belle' ,as has already been stated. They come from Agristarts and that is where everyone gets theirs to grow out and sell.

Joe

Back