What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Id my dewy!

here it is!

Drosera_unknown.sized.jpg

It dosent look too healthy because it has just been in a box for 5 days

the flowers are pink and they self polinate

looks to me like a D. Spat-Too-la Kansai form

what do yuu guys think?

Not much dew on it cuz it has been in a box for a week!

'Spat-TOO-la kansai looks a bit different, don't know how, but it does, maybe its the colour, the shape of the leaf/whole plant, or the lenght of the leaf (kansai is a bit longer?) See for yourself...here!

Flowers look same though huh...

I think its a form of Drosera spatulata.

I'm going to venture a guess that it's D. capilaris.

hmmm i better ask again when they get more healthy

I think it's capilaris too, possibly spath.

The seed from this species are quite big in relation to other 'capillaris' seed I have seen. Is it true that capillaris seeds are tiny?

It's most likely D. spatulata, although there is no way for me to really tell more without a seed photo or a photo of the flower buds/scape. I can tell more from these features than from the rosette.

D. capillaris seed is fine seed, but I have also seen D.spatulata that was equally as fine depending on the variety. The difference is in the testa details: D. spatulata has rows reminiscent of a corn cob, D. capillaris has a raised testa giving the seed a smallley look.

The lack of hairs on the base of the flower scape could imply D. capillaris, but this feature varies widely even within the D. spatulata complex.

So for now, my money is on D. spatulata.

wow you know doseras as if they were your siblings!
biggrin.gif
Thanks a lot Tamlin for the details.

Jason

thx for the detailed decriptions tamlin and thx for the IDing ever1

here is the flower and seeds

flower_spatula_004.sized.jpg

flower_spatula_005.sized.jpg

ah, 5 petals, let me see, hmmm...what does that mean again?
biggrin.gif

Which Sarr. is in the background? It looks like the ones I brought home last November from Home Depot's 50 cent rack. Mine I thought were rubra (then), but after spending a few months outside, I think it is a leucophylla.

Ahhh! thx Tamlin! is it a typical spatulata?
jimscott i got it from triffid park, i think it's a leucophylla too, im trying out sarrs here in singapore, i hope they do well
confused.gif

I'm not so sure the word "typical" can really apply to so widespread and varied a species. This appears to be the Kanto form, and is typical in regards to that form.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Sure looks like Drosera x tokaiensis to me. Isn't the "Kanto" form supposed to look almost like a miniature Drosera aliciae?</span>

Hi Joseph,

Well, the Kansai form has more distinctly spoon shaped lamina I think, and much longer and narrow (1-1.5 mm) petioles without a cover of stalked glands. The tentacles in the photo here extend nearly to the plants center, and the lamina are both broader and more spathulate which brings to mind more of the Kanto form in my opinion.

No way could I ever say that any D. spatulata looks like D. aliciae, whoever wrote that must have been a wee bit uninformed. I have on occasion confused D. capillaris and D. spatulata, but never have I ever mistaken it for anything from South Africa!

what type of spatulata is the kind you typically find in garden centers?

i think it's the same type PFT sells.

Back