What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Id my dewy!

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>I wrote that Drosera spatulata "Kanto" looked like miniature Drosera aliciae because every "Kanto" I ever saw looked like a tiny Drosera aliciae.

I do not mean to say that if the plant does not look like a miniature Drosera aliciae that it is automatically Drosera spatulata "Kansai".

smile_m_32.gif
After all these designations "Kansai", "Kanto" are not even valid names for taxonomy or horticulture, they are just something we CP growers use to help decide what we are growing. Old names that if they were officially described and published, especially with photographic standards, could really help us all to understand more precisely what we are growing.</span>

I totally agree.  The term "Kanto" is way too vauge.  I agree as well that the wedge shaped forms are likely to be whatever whomever refers to as the Kanto form.  The way I interpert it, if the plant has the long, thin, stalkless petioles giving it a distinct wheel shape, then it is the Kansai form.  I can accept "Kansai" as a descriptor since I can always recognize it.  "Kanto" threfore becomes a "catch all" term for those species which don't meet the Kansai criteria.  Although some of these forms, notably the Queensland and NZ alpine forms from Mt. Ruahepu have wedge shaped leaves, they still are not reminiscent (to me at least) of D. aliciae.  Some of the alpine NZ forms approximate D. montana var tomentosa (from some localities like Morro do Jambiero, as does your own D. 'Ruby Slippers') since the wedge shape has a more or less similar tapering, but all very different from D. aliciae.

These variability issues have continually affected taxonomists dealing with this complex.  The complex is a frustratingly complex one, with much variation across its range.  I have seen typical rosettes smaller than a dime and as large around as a teacup.  I have seen wedge shaped, spathulate, truncate, and subrotund lamina.  I have seen glabrous scapes and scapes with stalked retentive glands.  Although stipule details, seed testa and sepals remain remarkably consistent throughout the complex, with only a few exceptions - notably the hairy sepal form from Gympie, Queensland.

Due to the extreme variation within the complex, I feel the taxonomy and phylogeny of this complex would be best assayed through L-ribosomal gene markers.  In the case of S. spatulata, the lumping of these plants is self defeating.  It is the same within the D. indica complex, but that is another can of worms.

After browsing through some D. spatulata photos, the form from Melbourne, Australia is very similar to the one shown in this photo.  

L-ribosomal gene markers. Are they nuclear or mitochondrial genes?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]After browsing through some D. spatulata photos, the form from Melbourne, Australia is very similar to the one shown in this photo.

Probably the same species. These are from melbourne, australia afterall...

Hey, at least I'm not the only one who thinks some forms of Drosera spatulata look like miniature Drosera aliciae.

See: ICPS Seedbank Page

Back