What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown little ultricularia

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Hello,

I noticed this little plant growing in my two of my pots about 5 months ago. The leaves are 4-6mm in length and about 1mm wide. The plants do flower regularly, however I have not seen them actually open, they are always either bud or spent. I am guessing they are only open for a very shot time or never actually open.

The two pots have plants that I received in a trade and thought thats where they came from. Hoever, they were only growing on the new peat/perlite mix, not from the soil mix that the plants came with (actually bare root, but some mix was still on the roots).

I have come to the conclusion as of today that these have come from seed from my Canadian Peat Moss that I purchased for my planting mixes. The reason for this is that the same little plant is now growing in a pot kept in a fishtank that has never been near the other two larger pots.

I will try to get a photo of the flower buds later, the one I did take didn't come out as it was too dark and blurred.

I am assuming this is a small Utricularia.

Here are some photos of the leaves:

U_unknown1_leaves.jpg

U_unknown1_leaves2.jpg

probably U.subulata, it gets everywhere

Hmmmmm, do you have pics of the flowers?
Dino

U. subulata is a good bet, especially if the scapes look like little headed pins. It presents problems only when it contaminates other pots of Utricularia. Other than this I regard it as a sign of good PH, and feel the plant probably is a good housekeeper as well, just keep it away from other Utricularia!

The lighting is very poor today due to rain storms. This is the best picture of the "pods" that I could get with my current lighting conditions.

U_unknown1_seedpod.jpg

COndolences or congratulations are in order, I am not sure which.  These are the seed pods of the cleistogamous flowers of Utricularia subulata.  Seed is fertile and self sows with abandon.  Warning Will Robinson!

I will keep an eye on it. I don't mined that its in with a few Sarracenia and one Drosera. Will do my best to keep it out of my other two Utrics.

Thanks for the ID help.
smile.gif

Back