What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind is this sundew?

Hi all!

I'm usually in the VFT forum, but I somehow got this plant while I was planting my VFT seeds - it just popped up one day. I do not own any sundews (at least, not 'til now), so I have no idea where or how I got this:

MystThingy01.jpg

other views:
Sundew01.jpg

Sundew02.jpg

Do you guys know what kind of sundew it is? I plan on keeping it, but I have no idea how to grow these things so is there some general sundew care sheet that you guys know of?

Thanks for the help
smile.gif

If it was in the VFT mix, it is likely rotundifolia or intermedia. Other possibilities are capensis, spatulata and capilaris. These are all cp weeds. Hopefully it's one of the species that grow alongside VFT's (the first I mentioned) and therefore will go dormant with your VFT's. You need to wait for it to get a bit bigger before we can give you a positive id. Seedling 'dews can look alike.

Hmm... thanks for the info
smile.gif

Well, I guess I don't need to know what kind it is now, but how do I care for it? My primary concern is whether it should go dormant with my VFTs in a couple months or not...

aI got loads of these sundews.........
They look like that when they appear, then they start to grow longer and longer leaves untill they look like an eevryday weedy capensis.
I currentsly have about 2-3 in my VFT pot, and about 6-8 in my Utricularia bisquamata ;bettys bay' pot.

If it needs to go dormant, it will form a hibernacula. If it doesn't form a resting bud, I suggest you transplant it into a new home before you put your VFT into dormancy, and continue to give it the same treatment as it gets now. It is too soon to identify your Drosera. I also note a fungus infection in your photo, and suggest you dab some alcohol onto the traps that appear fuzzy.

Back