Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old nep, first pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is no N. ventricosa.

Yes Young N. ventricosa can have wings (and projections on the top of the lid) but N. ventricosa does not have spatulate leaves. Leaves that get wider as they extend out from the stem. The plant is also way to big for it to be N. ventricosa with juvenile pitchers. The pitcher opening on N. ventricosa is nearly horizontal not held at an angle like this one.

I am almost certain it is the common TC N. Judith Finn found here in the US. As it gets older the dark purple peristome will form. Both N. veitchii and N. spathulata take a while to show their peristome features.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres wesley's plant.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/wesley/October/10-15-04%20008.jpg[/img]
    Now heres my plant that looks identical...
    [img]file:///C:/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/neps/gubler%20nep2%20oct14rs.JPG[/img]
    Now heres my ventricosa
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/cncreefer/ventricosa%20plant%20top%20view1rs.JPG[/img]
    I hope this clears up any confusion.
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, and I never thought that there would be a diagreement as to which Nep I had.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ Oct. 17 2004,12:28)]Ah! Juvenile ventricosa's DO have wings.
    Heres a pic of my latest ventricosa pitcher, the pitcher is about 1.5 inches long, the plant is about 4 inches in diameter. You can see whats left of the wings, which go away as the plant gets bigger. the smaller pitchers on my ventricosa are all green and have wings like the pitchers in your pics.
    Your plant looks identical to one of my plants, with the color and shape of the leaves, which I believe is a judith finn, but won't know for sure until it grows a bigger pitcher.
    Umm ok I am confused... Seems like your arguing with me that it is a N. ventricosa when you in fact previously stated it looked like N. Judith Finn. And I support with my assessment.

Aside from that, your picture of N. ventricosa (which looks like a typical young N. ventricosa) does not resemble Wesley's plant much at all. Look closely at all his pictures and you will see the dramatic reduction in leaf blade from wide near the tip to almost nothing at the stem, the leaf margins starting to show some waves, and the more squared off leaf tips.

Now granted not every leaf on Wesley's plant highlights each of these traits. But the fact that they do pop up here and there and they don't on the N. ventricosa is the defining factor.
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Umm ok I am confused... Seems like your arguing with me that it is a N. ventricosa when you in fact previously stated it looked like N. Judith Finn.
    no I'm not saying wesley's plant looks like ventricosa, I think it was TheAlphaWolf who said that. Heres his post...
    Quote[/b] ]hmmm... my "N. ventricosa" from lowes looked exactly like that. I guess it wasn't N. ventricosa after all.
    I never said that his plant is a ventricosa, all I said is that young ventricosa's have wings. I posted the pic to show the difference between ventricosa pitchers and judith finn pitchers, which is what wesley's plant looks like. Which my plant ( not the ventricosa) looks like.
    I posted the plant pics to show the difference in leaf shape between judith finn and ventricosa.
    I totally agree with you that wesley's plant looks like a judith finn.
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AHH I see why I got confused. You had posted here's Wesley's plant and then stated and here's mine that looks identical. Unfortunately your N. Judith Finn picture is not loading so I saw the N. ventricosa.

Thanks for clarifying.

T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, i took that differently too as the pic didn't load.

it's definitely a x 'judith finn' for sure.

tony mentioned something a lot of people overlook, nepenthes ventricosa's mouth shape in comparision to the pitcher pictured. this pitcher has a classic slant mouth that reclines while ventricosa is most commonly known for it's basically horizontal mouth.

that alone settles the possibility of it being ventricosa, not to mention the leaf shape which everyone should've noticed right off the bat, but it took me my first post in my thread to notice that some of the leaves of his plant rounds off.

yes ventricosa have wings as juveniles but this plant is past the juvenile stage for ventricosa. if this was a ventricosa, it would be wingless with red tendrils and colored pitchers.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ] not to mention the leaf shape which everyone should've noticed right off the bat, but it took me my first post in my thread to notice that some of the leaves of his plant rounds off.
    You may have been looking at the new leaves that were immerging. They tend to start sorta round, and then "flatten" of as the mature. I knew it wasn't a ventricosa(I have two and it looked notheing like either one of them) but there are so many other possibilities. Anyway thanks for all the help.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast