What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown pinguicula

Could someone please tell me what species of Ping in the photo is? I bought it at Lowes about three months ago in the usual plastic cup arrangement, but I've never seen one like this at any of the nurseries around here. The planting medium it grows from appears to be nothing more than peat and I've been keeping it in a tropical enclosure since I bought it. So far it has done very well in that environment but it hasn't flowered, so no help there. Lighting is flourescent 40 watt tubes, about 14" from the plant.
From the research I've done on the www, I think it is a Mexican ping but I would like to find out for sure so that I can repot it in the proper soil if necessary.
Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Alan

pingunk1.jpg

Lowes? You got that at Lowes? All I've ever seen are primuliflora. That's no primuliflora! I'm driving to Dallas! That's a Mexican ping, but someone with more experience will have to identify it.

wow. cool

am no ping expert. honestly, they almost all look the same to me and i can't tell them apart with exception to the very distinctive ones, but it is mexican.

Its hard ot tell without the flowers(But I think this one is moranensis)

It's not moranensis. Probably P x sethos, P x weser or something similar.

Thanks to all of you for the help. Now that I think of it, I think it was Home Depot that I bought it from. Lowes sells the ones in the plastic cubes. Anyway I had never seen one here before I found this one and that's the only reason I bought it. When I saw it my first thought was Mexican ping? Here? Dont think so. I've tried the primuliflora and others that are usually offered with no success, so I had pretty much given up trying to grow Pings.

So now it looks like it would be wise for me to replant it in a soil mixture more to the liking of Mexican pings.

Very nice find!Yep it`s mexican:) The only Ping I`ve seen at Lowes has been P.caerulea(sp?).

Why did Lowes switch to those over priced,stupid,undrained cubes anyhow? It used to be that the 3in. pots were real pots with a dome on top and drainage on the bottom(used to be green but later terra cotta color),and the larger 4 in. cubes containing either several species,a large vft,a N.ventricosa,or a mix containing S.purpurea,vft,and D.adelae.

PB I would think they put them in the cubes as a mini greenhouse and to protect them getting
poked and prodded by curious fingers, or it's probably just the way the nursery markets it's products.
I've had good luck with plants from them as well as the terracotta and green ones. As a matter of fact,
the N x Judith Finn and the ventricosa that I sent you both came from the cubes and the other neps
came in the plastic pots.

I'm open for suggestions for a potting mix and type of pot to use. I have everything I need to make the recipe for D'Amato's mix so I'll probably use his unless I can find a better one.
Is a deep or shallow pot better?

KCC, from researching the internet I've seen quiet a few photos of P. sethos that resemble my plant. I've also seen same for P. agnata, rectifolia, and moranensis. Considering it's origin it is probably a hybrid but that's fine with me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Oct. 19 2004,7:28)]It's not moranensis. Probably P x sethos, P x weser or something similar.
I have Weser and it doesnt really resemble the leaves.

Those plastic cubes look like attractive mini-terraria. Ultimately, they are impractical for little things like AIR CIRCULATION, but they are good for temporarily shocked plants and seed germination.

You will find that people vary somewhat in their media mix. Mr. D'Amato isn't the end all, but he is certainly excellent for those who new and intermediate hobbyists, who need SOME direction. Personally, I like to mix sand & peat and then topdress with LFS (long fiber sphagnum). Ya can't go TOO wrong with that. Just make sure you wash and rinse all media.

Jimscott, I agree that D'Amato isn't the end all for info but it is always a good starting point and reference. But from my internet searches about Mexipings, most say that they like a more airy and looser soil. And yes, I always wash all cp planting ingredients well before using. I then save all the leftover water (distilled$ or rain) and give it to the ferns, gardenias, and other acid loving plants.

Back