Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unknown pinguicula

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could someone please tell me what species of Ping in the photo is? I bought it at Lowes about three months ago in the usual plastic cup arrangement, but I've never seen one like this at any of the nurseries around here. The planting medium it grows from appears to be nothing more than peat and I've been keeping it in a tropical enclosure since I bought it. So far it has done very well in that environment but it hasn't flowered, so no help there. Lighting is flourescent 40 watt tubes, about 14" from the plant.
    From the research I've done on the www, I think it is a Mexican ping but I would like to find out for sure so that I can repot it in the proper soil if necessary.
    Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Alan

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lowes? You got that at Lowes? All I've ever seen are primuliflora. That's no primuliflora! I'm driving to Dallas! That's a Mexican ping, but someone with more experience will have to identify it.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow. cool

am no ping expert. honestly, they almost all look the same to me and i can't tell them apart with exception to the very distinctive ones, but it is mexican.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its hard ot tell without the flowers(But I think this one is moranensis)
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not moranensis. Probably P x sethos, P x weser or something similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all of you for the help. Now that I think of it, I think it was Home Depot that I bought it from. Lowes sells the ones in the plastic cubes. Anyway I had never seen one here before I found this one and that's the only reason I bought it. When I saw it my first thought was Mexican ping? Here? Dont think so. I've tried the primuliflora and others that are usually offered with no success, so I had pretty much given up trying to grow Pings.

So now it looks like it would be wise for me to replant it in a soil mixture more to the liking of Mexican pings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice find!Yep it`s mexican The only Ping I`ve seen at Lowes has been P.caerulea(sp?).

Why did Lowes switch to those over priced,stupid,undrained cubes anyhow? It used to be that the 3in. pots were real pots with a dome on top and drainage on the bottom(used to be green but later terra cotta color),and the larger 4 in. cubes containing either several species,a large vft,a N.ventricosa,or a mix containing S.purpurea,vft,and D.adelae.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id say "sethos" but im not sure
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast