Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grocery store nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started a ventrata from a cutting and never remembered seeing wings-comments anyone?
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your cutting was from a mature plant, you will get mature pitchers.
    My ventrata has several new shoots that formed some time ago. They produced pitchers with wings for a very short time. By the time it gets the size of the plant in the picture, the pitchers would not have wings anymore.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The folliage looks very much like the plant I bought a 2 or 3 months ago at a garden center. Turned out to be ventrata (finally got a mature pitcher to open), which I already had, oh well. But it IS growing very nicely.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typically, grocerystore generic nepenthes are one of these: Alata, Ventricosa, Ventrata, Ventrata x alata.
    since ventricosas don't have wings, i'd say it's one of the others. I hope that helped!
    Dave
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note that N. alata and N. ventrata x alata are not in TC production so it won't be one of these. Other homecenter, gardencenter possibilities though would include the the Deroose plants - N. Miranda, Gentle, Ventrata, N. tobaica x ventricosa x khasiana (noone can say for sure exactly what it is). Then there are the Agristarts plants (off the top of my head) - N. ventricosa, N. Judith Finn. And the Gubler/nurserymans exchange - N. Ventrata, N. unknown maxima hybrid.
    I may have missed a few but those are the most common ones.

btw Dave, N. ventricosa does have wings when it is still a small plant with juvenile pitchers. Although the plant in the picture is large enough so that if it was N. ventricosa it would have probably lost it's wings. However the couple pointy projections on the lid seem to indicate that it is still in a somewhat juvenile stage despite it's size. Other aspects such as leaf shape support hybrid origin so I would say it's safe to eliminate N. ventricosa as a possibility.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12