What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. rubra ssp. gulfensis

Laura, the Yellow River gulfensis stands were huge! They lived along a main power company cut, and were doing just fine, creating many leaf and color forms, and a beautiful place to spend a day observing plants in the wild. Once maintained by "Bush Hogs" for cutting down brush in the power company right of way. Some genius decided that herbicides were cheaper, and killed everybody with one pass. Luckily, seeds were kept from this site, and seed and plants have been distributed. One of the NASC's projects, will be to restore this site with seed and plants originally from this area. Any other questions, Laura??

Has any litigation been entered into on behalf of the public interest?  What you described is a public right-of-way regardless of whether the power company was granted access to same or not. It is also sounding to me as if this may have been a wetlands area. Jurisdiction of those would generally fall first and foremost with the Army Corp of Engineers. Did anyone contact them? To the best of my knowledge, applicators are supposed to be licensed and I would be of the opinion that overspray to this magnitude should constitute the revocation of that operator's license at the very least. They are supposed to take into consideration drift, leaching, runoff, and spills. What did he do... use an extended range flat-fan nozzel and spray away with glee???  What I would like to know is who authorized the use of chemicals in that area anyway?  Chemicals are engineered to kill.  This sort of disgusts me and is right up there with all of the toxic green perfectly manicured lawns that we Americans have bought into. I will say no more lest I get a headache for the entire day.

Hey, you asked. And you are a memeber of the NASC. Do something about it!

Bugweed,

What your opinion about this plant now you have seen the flowers?

I'm glad to hear from everyone that it's a gulfensis
smile.gif

Cheers,

Ries

I would be interested in growing any location plant, propagating it and returning it to the wild.

Tre, you might want to contact your DNR and share with them which species you have. Our DNR only authorizes local genotypes. Your DNR will probably have a land steward who would gladly accept your offer of species indigenous to your region. Around here, you would not be able to have access to the locations where your plants would put down new roots but at least you'd know they had a good home.

Ries, poor quality on the pitcher, but it still looks VERY gulfensis to me. I would still like to see it first hand, But going to Europe will have to wait until I have more pocket change.

Next spring, when it's flowering...I'll post some pitchure's of it than.

Cheers,

Ries

Back