What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera ?

Late last year I noticed a small rosette Drosera growing from a patch of live sphagnum moss that I got from Cook's. Any idea what it may be?

unknowndrosera1.jpg

At another angle...
unknowndrosera.jpg

thanks!

Homer

Its D. peltata or its cousin (something like aurticularita, I cannot remember the spelling even though I have the plant)

um....no. It cant be!

I think it is some kind of pygmy dew
good luck!

I did mean from seed. But maybe not. It could really be about anything. I did not notice how small it was before

If it was in live sphagnum from Cooks, it could be D. rotundifolia seedling, which is often found popping up in live sphagnum. However, it could also be a stray pygmy Drosera of some kind, which easily spread as gemma. You say, "late last year". Has it grown since?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You say, "late last year". Has it grown since?

I noticed the plant late last year growing in the sphagnum, so I transplanted it soon thereafter so it won't get overgrown. I took the picture just a few days ago. It really hasn't grown that much since I noticed it.

thanks,

Homer

Drosera rotundifolia

Seedlings growing in live Sphagnum:

When growing on peat or peat/sand they quickly assume the appearance yours shows.

D_rotundifolia_web.jpg

Pingman, nice photo from the future, we still have January...
smile_m_32.gif

smile.gif

Thanks Jan, I guess I thought this year was going faster than it really is. I should be wishing it were going slower.

The local sphagnum bog here has a lot of D. rotundifolia. They form winter hibernacula and tend to break dormancy in mid-March. Below are some photos taken March 13, 2004 of the bog and its' D. rotundifolia just coming out of dormancy. The plants look quite similar to Homer's and Joseph's.
BigLagoon118.JPG

BigLagoon112a.JPG

Excellent. I lose my rotundifolia every winter... they seem to evaporate. This is a very nice suprise indeed!

Regarding the "local bog". A few years ago, I stumpled upon a local government website that discussed low-elevation sphagnum bog environments in Western Washington. The site listed one only 2 miles away
smile_n_32.gif
In general, the website gave general locations - to protect the bog, which I'm all in favor for. But the one 2 miles away listed a street intersection! Unfortunatly, the site now has a RiteAid store
mad.gif
I lived here all my life and must have went by this place many times and never know that there were potentially wild CP growing right next door
smile_h_32.gif
... just another example of the world we live in
smile_h_32.gif

Homer

Back