What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Colorado.  I have a local nursery here in town that carries a fair amount of CP.  Unfortunately if they don't end up selling them in a month or two the plants begin to look terrible due to lack of care, mainly lack of water.  I've told them on numerous occastions to water their neps every other day and keep them fairly wet and to leave the rest of their CP in some trays filled with about a half inch of water.   Anyway enough about that.  about a month ago I was in there, and they had just gotten a shipment of VFT and an unknown Drosera in.  They all looked really healthy and were priced at $2.50 a piece.  The Dros. were labled "Octopus Plant" which I thought was kind of funny.  I was thinking D. Spatulata, but now I'm not sure.  The rosette is about 3 inches across and the flowers are pinkish purple.

spat1.jpg

The second plant I just bought a couple of days ago from the same Nursery.  They had just gotten in a shipment of Nepenthes and had smaller plants in 4 or 5 inch pots with 2 to 3 inch pitchers for $9.99  They aslo had larger hanging baskets with 6 to 7 inch pitcher for 24.99.  The plants looked great so I bought one of each. They were lableled N. Alata.

First is the smaller plant.

nep.jpg

Second is the larger hanging basket and a closeup of some of the pitchers.  The large pitcher in the closeup is abot 6 to 7 iches long.

newnep1.jpg

newnep2.jpg

Thanks,

JJ

The big Nepenthes is N. Ventrata. A cross between N. alata and ventricosa. The small one is probably N. Ventrata also but a little hard to say for sure at this point.

Tony

I agree with tony, but i was thinking that the smaller one looks like N. khasiana.

I'm not one for drosera, i think it may be D. capensis (a young one).

Thanks Tony,

My main specialty has been temperate plants and some sub-trop. Drosera, This is my first venture into the world of tropical pitcher plants. How is Ventrata at handling windowsill growing. I hung the larger plant in my bathroom window which is a corner window that faces both North and West, so it recieves indirect light most of the day with a couple of hours of more direct light diffused by a blind in the afternoon. Also, the bathroom humidity due to showers and baths is probably up around 50%. Being next to a cold colorado window the temp is probably around 60 degrees at night and 70 to 75 in the day. Will these conditions be adequate for good pitcher production.?

I'm not much of an expert, but the sundew looks like Drosera Anglica.

not sure if you conditions will work for pitchering but if i was going to try to grow a Nepenthes on a window sill ventrata would be high on my list of ones to use.

Drosera= D. nidiformis. Flower is pinkish so will not be D. anglica.

It is a nidiformis and I agree on the ventrata.

It'll pitcher. Mine has pitchered in worse this winter (it was at least 3 feet tall at one point... didn't have any sort of chamber it could fit in).

Back