What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volunteer in vft pot

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
Hey guys...  I have this cool little hitchhiker in one of my VFT pots..  I thought at first it was D. burmannii but now its starting to make me think its something else. Anyone have any ideas?  

Thanks
Steve

unknowndew1.JPG

unknowndew3.JPG

hmmm... i dont know so i cant help u on that, but that dew looks awsome ^^
Hellz

Yep, sure looks like either Drosera peltata or Drosera auriculata.

You lucky #&@*!
mad.gif

J/K.
::grabs Library copy of The Savage Garden::

It is most likely a tuberous 'dew. Whether it's a climber or erect only time will tell.

You got a tuberous 'dew as a stow away in a vft pot? Sheesh, some people have all the luck.
biggrin.gif

Mayber there's an N. aristolochioides in there too!

Capslock

it looks quite abit like the D. peltata seedling that i got from Copper a few weeks ago. yours appears a bit larger/older. very cool stow-away

Nice. BTY How do you grow them. I mean how long from seed to dormancy? Other then that I should be okay.

as far as i know, just like any other dew, peat/sand mix watered with the tray system. i dont THINK D. peltata actually needs a dormant period. if it turns out to be one of the other tuberous than im not sure as i think i recal peltata being the exception rather than the rule but i could be wrong

I feel like Charlie Brown when I say this: All I get are spatulata and capensis as stowaways!
smile_m_32.gif

I had a D. hartmeyerorum stowaway once but my cat ate it. True story!
smile_h_32.gif

Glenn

lucky. i cant even get mine to germinate

Ok thanks Joseph and Pondboy for the ID.

Tre, the only thing I can say about how to grow it (other than just growing it without knowing what it is) is what you can read for yourself in Savage Garden.

Rattler, its actually quite small. The whole plant is no bigger than 1/4 inch tall.

Im excited to see how this plant does.. its definately one of the more unique in my collection.

Cheers
Steve

1/4 inch huh, i was figuring not quite twice that. so it is approx the same size as mine. good luck with it, it is quite different from most of the other common Drosera most keep.

Back