What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification wanted

Recently I was hiking with friends in the lower regions of the Drakensberg mountains (South Africa) and we came across what appears to be a carnivorous fungi. There was a fly stuck to the brown gunge which seems to bear out that it is carnivorous. Is anyone able to identify this plant/fungi for me - would be appreciated.
I can be mailed directy at rodhart@iafrica.com
plant.jpg

looks caool and gross but sorry man, I have no idea what it is. It does resemble a fungi of some sort by the trunk thing with no branches. It looks like a flower but a flower wouldn't sprout from such a blunt end of a trunk that size. I don't know.

Joe

Yes, that is a flower.
Rod, take a look at your replies at CPUK.

Starman - thanks! Yes it was identifyed on CPUK as an Aseroe, and seems to be the Aseroe rubra, common name Anemone or Starfish fungi
Regards
Rod

It's not carnivorous though - the fly has probably died on it by chance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes, that is a flower.
fungi don't have flowers. They have fruiting bodies. (which is not the same as a fruit mind you) only plants produce flowers, and fungi aren't plants.
does it stink like hell?

Alphawolf - strangely it had very little smell, but then I had been hiking for two days in wet boots -so who was to tell.
Rod

Back