Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pinguicula weser? or what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm, hold on a second Hans... I don't know that I have P. 'Weser'. It may need to bloom to get a positive ID. When my Mom was alive, I'd give her photos of birds or plants and tell her to please look them up for me. She was the Naturalist in the family. My Mom passed away about 4 years ago and I don't have anybody to go a lookin' for me. These particular plants were puchased as a gift for about $3 a piece along with a P. lutea that I am relatively sure is actually P. lutea and another plant that I can't recall right now but it was another nice Ping-a-ling. The woman who purchased them knows absolutely nothing about CPs other than that Sarracenia, Pinguicula, and Drosera fall into that category. She had seen the Pings I have here at home and recognized them at the plant sale so she bought them hoping I would like them. She also bought me a few Loyalist and Patriot Hosta at the same time. At this point, I am merely curious. If the pants I have are mislabeled, that's ok as they are nice looking little babies and I was most appreciative of the out of the blue gift. On the other hand, at $3 a piece if they are properly labeled... I am sending this woman out to do my plant shopping!

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I know of to tell P. "Weser" from P. "Sethos" is the flower.

Edit:
    N: $[Pinguicula ' Sethos ' {Hort.Slack}]
    P: Insect-Eat.Pl. & How to Grow Them:113 (1986)
    S: =[[Pinguicula ehlersiae {Speta & Fuchs}] * [Pinguicula moranensis {H.B.K.}]]
    HC: Registered 10. 11. 1998 (JS)
    B: H.Weiner, Hameln, 1981
    Nominant: H.Weiner
    Registrant: A.Slack
    Description: Insect-Eat.Pl. & How to Grow Them:113 (1986)

"Of these (hybrids) I would mention [Pinguicula ' Sethos ' {Hort.Slack}] ([[Pinguicula moranensis {H.B.K.}] * [Pinguicula ehlersiae {Speta & Fuchs}]]), a fine, very floriferous clone with large orchid-purple flowers with a many-rayed mouth like a white star; [Pinguicula ' Weser ' {Hort.Slack}], of the same parentage and with rather similar flowers, has a solitary white streak down the central lower lobe and dark veins."

Standard: {Oliver Gluch}
    Etymology: obscure (perhaps alluding to a Pharaoh)

and

N: $[Pinguicula ' Weser ' {Hort.Slack}]
    P: Insect-Eat.Pl. & How to Grow Them:113 (1986)
    S: =[[Pinguicula moranensis {H.B.K.}] * [Pinguicula ehlersiae {Speta & Fuchs}]]
    HC: Registered 10. 11. 1998 (JS)
    B: H.Weiner, Hameln, 1981
    Nominant: H.Weiner
    Registrant: A.Slack
    Description: Insect-Eat.Pl. & How to Grow Them:113 (1986)

"Of these (hybrids) I would mention [Pinguicula ' Sethos ' {Hort.Slack}] ([[Pinguicula moranensis {H.B.K.}] * [Pinguicula ehlersiae {Speta & Fuchs}]]), a fine, very floriferous clone with large orchid-purple flowers with a many-rayed mouth like a white star; [Pinguicula ' Weser ' {Hort.Slack}], of the same parentage and with rather simiar flowers, has a solitary white streak down the central lower lobe and dark veins."

Standard: Insect-Eat.Pl. & How to Grow Them:114 (1986)
    Etymology: after the river at originator's locality

Note that both P. 'Sethos' and P. 'Weser' are a cross of [[Pinguicula moranensis {H.B.K.}] * [Pinguicula ehlersiae {Speta & Fuchs}]]. The distinguishing characteristic of P. 'Weser' is "large orchid-purple flowers with a many-rayed mouth like a white star" and for P. 'Sethos'; "of the same parentage and with rather simiar(sic) flowers, has a solitary white streak down the central lower lobe and dark veins."
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You gotta love that Humboldt site! I swear I get hung up over there for hours just browsing and reading and when I am there I can not resist the urge to click on photos.

http://wjclemens.com/cp_stan....hos.htm

Looks as if both my 'Weser' and my 'Sethos' are going to have to bloom before we would be in a position to determine anything. Steve is correct!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12