What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula weser? or what?

Hmmm, I think your speculations are dead-on. It doesn't look like P.'Weser', which usually has pink, triangular leaves in good light. Then again I might be completely wrong too, Pings not being my forte. Still a pretty plant though.

Amori

A picture of the flower would help ID your Pinguicula or at least confirm your suspicion that it's not P. 'Weser'.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ April 24 2005,3:54)]A picture of the flower would help ID your Pinguicula or at least confirm your suspicion that it's not P. 'Weser'.
As I said, I'm still waiting for the bugger to flower...

If you bought it as 'Weser' then odds are 99.9999999% that it is not the real thing. Most likely it is the mass market clone that is thought to be an F2 of a basic moranensis x ehlersiae. There is a very detailed thread over this on the CPUK forum that you might want to check out.

Thanks, Pyro! I guess I have to wait for the flower yet a bit more,then
smile.gif

My Father's girlfriend found this little P. 'Weser' plant at a sale in Chicago and purchased it for me along with another plant that was labeled P. 'Sethos'. Arlene knew I loved Pings and thought it was worth a shot to buy a few for me as a gift even if they were mislabled. I think the shape of the leaves is indicative of this being P. 'Weser' in that they do appear to have a triangular configuration to them.  Would you all please tell me if the leaves of my P. 'Weser' are consistent with that which would be the actual 'Weser' as opposed to the mass marketed F2 of moranensis x ehlersiae. The little plant is a ways away from blooming but I suspect it will sooner or later so if we can not figure out what it is now, I could always post a photo at a later date.

The plant is doing very well and all the leaves you see in the photo are new growth. Sorry if the photo is poor quality but the sun from the window where that plant is sitting was very bright a few moments ago.
7c58fa6b.jpg

Say Hans, sorry for hijacking your thread.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ May 06 2005,8:27)]Say Hans, sorry for hijacking your thread.

No need to apologize, Laura, feel free to hijack away!

Yet again I've learned something new (the triangular configuration bit)

Hans

Umm, hold on a second Hans... I don't know that I have P. 'Weser'. It may need to bloom to get a positive ID. When my Mom was alive, I'd give her photos of birds or plants and tell her to please look them up for me. She was the Naturalist in the family. My Mom passed away about 4 years ago and I don't have anybody to go a lookin' for me.  These particular plants were puchased as a gift for about $3 a piece along with a P. lutea that I am relatively sure is actually P. lutea and another plant that I can't recall right now but it was another nice Ping-a-ling. The woman who purchased them knows absolutely nothing about CPs other than that Sarracenia, Pinguicula, and Drosera fall into that category. She had seen the Pings I have here at home and recognized them at the plant sale so she bought them hoping I would like them. She also bought me a few Loyalist and Patriot Hosta at the same time. At this point, I am merely curious.  If the pants I have are mislabeled, that's ok as they are nice looking little babies and I was most appreciative of the out of the blue gift. On the other hand, at $3 a piece if they are properly labeled... I am sending this woman out to do my plant shopping!

The only way I know of to tell P. "Weser" from P. "Sethos" is the flower.

Edit:
N: $[Pinguicula ' Sethos ' {Hort.Slack}]
P: Insect-Eat.Pl. & How to Grow Them:113 (1986)
S: =[[Pinguicula ehlersiae {Speta & Fuchs}] * [Pinguicula moranensis {H.B.K.}]]
HC: Registered 10. 11. 1998 (JS)
B: H.Weiner, Hameln, 1981
Nominant: H.Weiner
Registrant: A.Slack
Description: Insect-Eat.Pl. & How to Grow Them:113 (1986)

"Of these (hybrids) I would mention [Pinguicula ' Sethos ' {Hort.Slack}] ([[Pinguicula moranensis {H.B.K.}] * [Pinguicula ehlersiae {Speta & Fuchs}]]), a fine, very floriferous clone with large orchid-purple flowers with a many-rayed mouth like a white star; [Pinguicula ' Weser ' {Hort.Slack}], of the same parentage and with rather similar flowers, has a solitary white streak down the central lower lobe and dark veins."

Standard: {Oliver Gluch}
Etymology: obscure (perhaps alluding to a Pharaoh)

and

N: $[Pinguicula ' Weser ' {Hort.Slack}]
P: Insect-Eat.Pl. & How to Grow Them:113 (1986)
S: =[[Pinguicula moranensis {H.B.K.}] * [Pinguicula ehlersiae {Speta & Fuchs}]]
HC: Registered 10. 11. 1998 (JS)
B: H.Weiner, Hameln, 1981
Nominant: H.Weiner
Registrant: A.Slack
Description: Insect-Eat.Pl. & How to Grow Them:113 (1986)

"Of these (hybrids) I would mention [Pinguicula ' Sethos ' {Hort.Slack}] ([[Pinguicula moranensis {H.B.K.}] * [Pinguicula ehlersiae {Speta & Fuchs}]]), a fine, very floriferous clone with large orchid-purple flowers with a many-rayed mouth like a white star; [Pinguicula ' Weser ' {Hort.Slack}], of the same parentage and with rather simiar flowers, has a solitary white streak down the central lower lobe and dark veins."

Standard: Insect-Eat.Pl. & How to Grow Them:114 (1986)
Etymology: after the river at originator's locality

Note that both P. 'Sethos' and P. 'Weser' are a cross of [[Pinguicula moranensis {H.B.K.}] * [Pinguicula ehlersiae {Speta & Fuchs}]]. The distinguishing characteristic of P. 'Weser' is "large orchid-purple flowers with a many-rayed mouth like a white star" and for P. 'Sethos'; "of the same parentage and with rather simiar(sic) flowers, has a solitary white streak down the central lower lobe and dark veins."

You gotta love that Humboldt site! I swear I get hung up over there for hours just browsing and reading and when I am there I can not resist the urge to click on photos.

http://wjclemens.com/cp_stan....hos.htm

Looks as if both my 'Weser' and my 'Sethos' are going to have to bloom before we would be in a position to determine anything. Steve is correct!

Back