What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown drosera

If all wrong grammar in 1st descriptions would be changed, there would be no Aldrovanda but Aldrovandia !

So I'll stick with D. burmanni with one "i".

Jan

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JanW @ May 15 2005,5:51)]If all wrong grammar in 1st descriptions would be changed, there would be no Aldrovanda but Aldrovandia !

So I'll stick with D. burmanni with one "i".

Jan
There'd probably be a Drosera spathulata too.
smile_m_32.gif

Hi Christian,

You don't mean to imply that Dr. Schlauer made a mistake in nomenclature....hahahahaha! Not too likely.....but then, we know that even the high and mighty can do a belly flop from time to time......

I do use the spelling from the CP Database. I figure the good Doctor probably has his reasons and they are probably good ones based on ICBN regs.

I always pronounce it wrong...as burman-ee. It should sound burman-ee-eye I believe.

As an agnostic, I'm not one to blindly follow any bible, but in the CP bible itself, Savage Garden, it says D. burmanni. Nuff said!

The Savage Garden is a good book, but when it comes to CP taxonomy it should never be considered a bible.

Nomenclature is a sensitive issue.  It is essential that correct names be maintained, and this is the province of the ICBN.  The ICBN does have a rule (and I can't quote the ART that covers this, but trust me it's in place) by which original publications with grammatical (orthographic) errors may be corrected (and should be if we are to continue to appear intelligent).

With due respect to Andreas, these sort of decisions should rightly fall to the institution dedicated to this sort of work and there needs to be a central authority to resolve issues like this when they arise.  After reviewing Dr. Schlauer's exposition as presented on the Listserve, I support Dr. Schlauer's corrected spelling.

This is a different case than, say, Drosera spatHulata vs spatulata, since both of these Latinizations are correct in their grammar.  In this case the original name as used in the Protolouge was not a case of orthographic error, since both are acceptable Latinizations, and the author chose spatulata and we must accept this spelling if we are to be correct.

If you want the "word of god" you *can* trust the ICBN, and although the Savage GArden is a nice beginners book, it is a long ways away from the Bible.  The ICBN has worked hard and long to keep us straight over the centuries and they have my support.

P.S. Jim, the proper spelling is Drosera sessilifolia, not sessifolia, lol. Keep on trying, it's all any of us can do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ June 16 2005,12:51)]P.S.  Jim,  the proper spelling is Drosera sessilifolia, not sessifolia, lol.  Keep on trying, it's all any of us can do.
Noted! Thanks. That wasn't one of my usual random typos. That was a genuine, "I didn't know that".

Back