Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Identify this flower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I knew april's name sounded familiar. No Laura I can't find my "Field Book" I fear it is one of the ones in the freezer (I got a few field guides wet on my hike the other day). I will continue to search.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leura your plant is Viola papilionacea. IT is a very varible species as can be seen if your search the photos of http://images.google.com/imgres?....rl=http

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also find it under the name Viola sororia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Tre, it isn't V. papilionacea. Mine have no yellow present in the petals whatsoever. Additionally, look at the shape of the petals on my plant. They are quite distinctly rotund. V. sororia is a synonym for V. papilionacea. I have V. sororia here as well as a few hybrids of V. sororia but I am relatively sure this plant isn't V. papilionacea. V. papilionacea is truly a variable species in that it is a lot like oaks and seems to hybridize with everything around it which would put us back to a hybrid. I actually think this is some sort of a hybrid of V. odorata which would mean that it is a naturally occurring hybrid. The leaves were pretty much telltale that it would be a native though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate violets....there's just too many of them, LOL!
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123